twenty-four

Phoebe

"Phoebe, I need to talk to you." Those aren't the best words to hear from anyone, so the first thing that came to mind when my girlfriend said it was I did something wrong.

"Okay," I said, turning to face her. I smiled. She wasn't.

"Look," Angel said. "I really like you, okay? But lately, you've been zoning out and just staring in Brooke's direction." My smile faded. "Are you okay?" I nodded. "I know that you liked Brooke before."

"I-"

Angel interrupted me. "No, it's the truth. And I'm starting to think you still like her." She looked down.

"Are you..."

"We should break up, right? I don't want to have you like someone else and you only like me halfway while I like you a lot. I'm sorry. We can still be friends if you want. If not, it's understandable, okay?" Angel kept staring down at the lunch table's seats. I looked over at Brooke then back to Angel. I opened my mouth to say something, then realized if I started to speak I'd start to cry. I closed my mouth and spent the rest of lunch in silence.

Oliver and Alex showed up halfway through lunch, laughing. They noticed the quietness and asked each of us if everything was okay. Angel nodded. I didn't respond.

*

Brooke and I walked to school together. She talked to me, and I barely spoke at all. "Are you okay?" She would ask softly, a smile on her face. I would nod and then look back down. Would Angel sit at the table today? Half of me is hoping she does; the other half wishes she wouldn't.

When we got to school, Brooke avoided me. She glanced at me and at that moment, I gave her a nod. I finally knew why she 'hated' me and it was understandable enough. I walked inside as she went to Noah, looking miserable as ever. I was seriously about to go drag her away for real this time, but I didn't. Instead, I looked away and walked to my locker. When I got there, Lily and her friends yelled at me, throwing crumpled paper at me. I ignored them, walking to my class. After a while, they left me alone. I went to history class, hoping Oliver was there. When I walked in the class earlier than it started, he was sitting in his seat. Alex was there too. They looked worried about something. Alex was wearing Oliver's jacket, the hood over his head. I sat down, looking over at them. They looked at me, smiling.

"Everything good guys?" They nodded, then talked for a minute more. Finally, they turned to me.

"So, hows things with Brooke and you?" Alex asked. I shrugged. "Good? Bad?" Oliver looked at Alex then at me.

"In between, I suppose." I would tell them I know why she hates me, but then I'd have to explain that Brooke's a mermaid and Noah is blackmailing her. Who'd believe me? "She doesn't hate me as much as I thought she did."

"That's good," Alex said, bouncing his leg nervously. He kept staring at his phone. It buzzed and he immediately looked at it. He tapped Oliver. Oliver got up.

"I have to go now. Alex is gonna fill in for me, don't tell anyone." He ran out of the door. I raised an eyebrow, looking over at Alex. He smiled nervously.

"Don't ask." I didn't. The bell rang and the kids swarmed in. Alex put his head down. The teacher started to talk. I wrote down notes, not even paying attention.

*

It was after school, and I walked home with Brooke. The sun was starting to set earlier. Brooke spoke occasionally, but out of what I assumed was fear, she rarely spoke. I looked at her most of the time we walked. When we stepped foot in the house, I stopped her. "Let me see your arms, please?" If Brooke had more bruises or cuts, I wasn't gonna let her near Noah again.

Brooke hesitantly rolled up her sleeves. Faint bruises mixed with new cuts. "Did Noah give you the cuts? Like did he push you or anything?" I wanted to make sure she was okay. Brooke gave a small nod.

"But, it's fine! I don't mind." I gave her a worried look that she couldn't see. "At least he isn't hurting you, right?" I put my hand on her shoulder. She looked at me, a sad smile plastered on her face. "I really don't care, Phoebe. Just leave it alone, 'kay?" She took my hand off her shoulder. I followed her upstairs.

Brooke lay on the bottom bunk of my bed. I sighed, going to the top. "Are you gonna be hurt more for being near me walking to and from school?" I asked her, leaning my head over the top bunk's railing. She shrugged. My hair, which was longer than shoulder length, fell down, hanging down.

"Probably. But if I appear to be at least ignoring you, it won't be as bad." I frowned, putting my head back on the bed. For a couple minutes, we lay on our beds in silence. Then, Brooke shot out of her bed. "Crap!"

I looked down at her. "Are you okay?" She nodded and ran out the door. After a moment, I followed her.

----

(Short chapter, yikes. Chapter twenty-five is next and uh y'all better be spooked. To my special reader, haha don't kill me. Bye <3)