Prologue

Prologue

A shriek of pain split through the air, as the first wet bundle slid out. 

"It's a tom!" Gingerheart exclaimed, raising his deep voice over yowls of the fighting clans. He licked the new kit fiercely, until the cat became warm and started to breathe. 

Stonepelt watched closely as his new son followed his mate's milk scent and wriggled towards her belly. 

"Another one is coming!" Gingerheart mewed, a fresh bundle of herbs clamped in his mouth, "here, bite down on this stick when you feel pain." 

The stick splintered and a tom came to meet his brother at their mother's belly. Mossflower panted, and one last spasm of pain came over her and she finally rested her head as a she-cat slid out. 

"I'll watch the entrance to the nursery! Nobody is getting in here," Stonepelt growled, using his broad shoulders to create a barrier outside the entrance. 

Suddenly, a huge black tom jumped on him from the side, causing Stonepelt to crash to the ground. Mossflower watched in horror as Stonepelt fought to push him off, and finally, giving one last effort, he managed to free himself. But he wasn't quick enough. The tom went back in for another blow, blood welling from the wound in his chest. Stonepelt collapsed to the ground, unmoving. As the huge tom reached for the nursery entrance, a FireClan tabby barreled into him with a strong warrior by his side. The two FireClan warriors drove the EarthClan warrior away from the nursery where Mossflower lied, with swift, carefully placed blows at his soft underbelly. Their combined efforts finally caused him to run back towards the bushes. 

The last few EarthClan warriors fled from FireClan's camp, and Mossflower stumbled towards Stonepelt's fallen body. Mewls of anguish filled the camp as she grieved for her lost mate. 

Stormstar limped towards her with a few other senior warriors, and they lifted Stonepelt's body and carefully rested him in the middle of the camp. As Mossflower padded back to her kits, her head hung, she looked at her sleeping kits. 

Rainkit nuzzled against his brother Rockkit's stone-colored pelt, and Moonkit let out a soft snore.

Even in her darkest hour, she still could find some light.