Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Rainkit prodded Lilypool's sleeping kits, until they opened their eyes. Finally, he thought, they're alive.Toadkit mewed just as Oakclaw appeared carrying a vole in his jaws.

When he saw Rainkit, he asked him in a frustrated tone, "What are you doing?"

"I'm so bored, why can't they come out and play with us?" Rainkit complained

"What about your brother and sister?" Lilypool asked, awake from the commotion.

"I want them to play with us, it's much more fun with more cats."

"Well wait a little longer until they're stronger, than you can play with them all you want." Lilypool said.

"Okay," Rainkit sighed, leaving the cramped nursery and heading towards her litter mates.

"So? Are they coming?" Moonkit asked when she spotted him coming out of the den.

"No, Toadkit and Lakekit can't come out until they're stronger," he said, twitching his tail.

Flamepaw came out from the dirt place tunnel and bounded towards them. "I just passed my assessment! I'm going to be a warrior!"

"Great! And I'm going to be made an apprentice today!" Rockkit boasted, puffing his chest out.

"Us too," Rainkit reminded, pushing him over.

Flamepaw glanced at Moonkit, nudging her with his paw.

"Ouch! You should be named Sharpclaw with those sharp thorns you call claws," Moonkit complained, licking her shoulder.

Flamepaw mrowled with laughter, and joined in Rainkit and Rockkit's tussle.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather next to the fallen oak!" Stormstar called, leaping onto the side of the tree.

Mossflower rushed towards her kits, hurrying to clean their pelts until they were glossy and smooth. Lilypool quickly turned to help, washing Rainkit with a rough tongue.

"Rockkit, Moonkit, and Rainkit, step forward. You have reached your sixth moon, and you are ready to train to become warriors. Rockkit, from now on, until you earn your warrior name, you will be known as Rockpaw. Your mentor will be Whitetail."

Whitetail rushed forward, tail twitching with excitement, and rubbed noses with his new apprentice.

"Whitetail, I expect you to pass down your knowledge and courage to this young apprentice. Moonkit," he beckoned with his tail, "from now on, until you earn your warrior name, you will be known as Moonpaw. Your mentor will be Frostfoot. And lastly, Rainkit. Until you earn your warrior name, you shall be known as Rainpaw and your mentor will be Darkclaw."

Rainpaw smirked at Rockpaw as he pressed his nose to his mentor, and Rockkit grumbled so only Moonpaw and Rainpaw could hear.

"And we have one apprentice ready to become a warrior."

Rainpaw could see the surprise of becoming a warrior so quickly on his friend's face.

"I, Stormstar, leader of FireClan, call upon our warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. He has worked hard to follow our noble rules and has more determination then any cat I've seen in moons. Flamepaw, from now on, you will be known as Flameclaw in honor of your sharp claws. I hope you will continue to work hard and stay loyal to our clan."

"Rockpaw! Moonpaw! Rainpaw! Flameclaw!" The cats cheered from around the fallen tree. The newly named apprentices sat tall and Flameclaw cheered from beside them.

Moonpaw and her brother leapt off the oak when the cheering subsided, their mentors close behind.

“Can we learn some battle moves?” Rainpaw asked Darkclaw.

“Not yet.” Darkclaw replied, “first I have to give you a tour of the territory.”

“Can we go too?” Moonkit asked Frostfoot.

“Of course.” Frostfoot said, “And would you like to come too, Whitetail?”

“Sure,” Whitetail responded,“let’s go.”

As they pounded through the entrance tunnel, Rainpaw felt a surge of excitement. This is my first time out of camp, this is going to be so fun!

“First we should go to the river.” Frostfoot as they skidded to a halt next to a huge Oak tree.

“Which way is that?” asked Rockpaw

“That way,” said Frostfoot, “and remember, it’s near the EarthClan border so watch out, since there is still tension between us.”

“Let’s get moving,” said Darkclaw, and they were off. As they neared the river they saw an EarthClan patrol in the clearing on  their side of the river.

“Stop!” Whitetail commanded, just before they broke through the trees and appeared in the clearing.

“Let’s get them!” growled Darkclaw

“Be quiet!” hissed Frostfoot, “we can’t attack them now, they have way too many warriors! Rainpaw, Rockpaw, and Moonpaw, go to Stormstar and tell him about the intruders, say we need about five more warriors. Quick!” And at that, Rainpaw and his littermates hurtled back the way they came. I hope I get to fight! I could teach EarthClan a lesson!  When they finally got back to camp they went straight to Stormstar’s den and told him what Frostfoot had said. But then he said something that puzzled them.

“EarthClan has already fought us, took our herbs and destroyed our camp,” he said solemnly, “we are still weak, and it happened six moons ago, so I have decided we should let them have the clearing.”

“But Stormstar, there are some herbs over there that Gingerheart can use!” Moonpaw blurted out, remembering when she helped Gingerheart as a kit.

“I’m sure Gingerheart can find her herbs somewhere else,” replied Stormstar, “now all of you go get something to eat and rest, I’ll send a warrior to go get your mentors.”

Rainpaw, hiding his disappointment that they didn’t get to fight, dragged his tail towards the nursery den.

“Hey, guys,” Flameclaw’s voice called towards them.

Moonpaw paused behind her brothers as Rainpaw and Rockpaw walked into the shaded den.

“Aren’t you in the wrong den?” Flameclaw chuckled, his ears pricked in amusement.

“Aren’t you?” Moonpaw retorted, glancing at the den that Flameclaw was half inside.

Flameclaw guiltily shuffled away from the apprentice’s den, his pelt hot with embarrassment. Moonpaw nudged her brothers out of their old den and they made their way to the apprentice’s den. As Moonpaw walked by Flameclaw, she cuffed his ear before ducking into the den for a well-deserved rest.

I hope you guys thought this chapter was good!

P.S. keep reading!