Punch drunk

Tucker's hand stay glued to the lower part of my back as we hurried into the party. I searched for Nona and Claude, someone to make me feel at least a little normal. But they were nowhere to be found. As I looked a little closer it seemed the lawn and patio was only congested with the younger crowd. Just about everyone from school and the beach was swarming all around.

Tiny lights hung over head, sparkling against the sky. They reminded me of the kind you decorated your Christmas tree with. A soft set of violins carried through the air along with the clatter and rattling of fancy dishes.

"Are you hungry?" Tucker asked, stopping in front of the buffet tables.

I wasn't sure what any of the items were that I was staring at. I shook my head no. I wasn't one to try odd foods, and judging by how rich his family was. I was sure it was super odd.

"You sure?" he asked again, picking up a cracker with something black on top of it. He popped it in his mouth.

"So sure. I had dinner before I came, remember?"

Tucker nodded. "Well, come on, let's mingle. I could show you my dad's house." He took me by the hand.

I couldn't help noticing the woman staring me down now. Apparently our hand holding was a big upset. I tried pulling away from Tucker, sensing the hostility. Especially from one woman in particular.

"What are you doing?" he asked, staring down at my hand that was trying its hardest to escape his.

"Is it me, or are people giving us strange looks?"

Tucker sighed. "I don't care what kind of looks anyone is giving us. I'm trying to make you comfortable. I know I would hate to be left alone at some party where I knew no one."

I disagreed. He was the biggest flirt, the most ambitious person I ever met, and I had never seen him look remotely embarrassed or uncertain about anything.

"I'll show you the house. Maybe that will ease you into all of this." He brought my hand to his lips, kissing it gently. This soothed me and settled my nerves. If he wasn't bothered by it, then I wouldn't be either, I told myself.

A waiter wearing a black tux and white gloves passed us, carrying a silver platter with elegant glasses. Tucker stopped him, taking two off the tray and handing me one. I studied the bubbly beverage, worried it was something I shouldn't be drinking.

"It's harmless, Lourdes calls it summer punch," Tucker said, taking a swig. I gave it a sniff before bringing it to my lips. The sweet taste of raspberry stung my tongue pleasantly. Whatever it was, it was delicious.

"Who is Lourdes?" I asked, following him into the house. I clutched my glass, careful not to spill it as we entered into a hallway.

Tucker shut the door, taking his shoes off before he stepped onto the plush wine-colored carpet. A large staircase with the same carpet and an elegant wooden banister took us up to an amazing hallway. Family portraits hung on nearly every wall. Potted plants on neat little tables placed at each window. There was even a golden statue of some sort of dog in one corner.

"It's beautiful, Tucker," I told him. I stared at the family photos. Tucker, and who I assumed was his father, were wearing matching sweaters, the photo was sepia and that just made it even fancier. A large German Sheppard perched at his father's feet. And when I concentrated a little longer, I realized the woman staring back at me with the big smile was the woman that had given me the strange look downstairs.

"That's your stepmom?" I asked, pointing at the woman staring back at me. Her perfectly smooth hair and square chin staring back at me. She was polished and tan and hardly looked like a step mother of any kind. She was young.