44 | Primary Colors

So, after scaring the shit out my dad, imagine how surprised I was when Cheryl today—invited me to a sleepover.

I agreed of course, but I was shocked. Fangs didn't know about my little visit to my father.
And he doesn't need to know, in fact—now, I know what my father wants, and now I can prevent him from getting it.

At lunch, I sat with Betty, Veronica, Archie and Jughead. I needed to talk to Jughead so I had to wait for him to finish. The boy always eats.

"I just loved your spin piece in the paper, Olivia Pope" Jughead said to Veronica and I rolled my eyes a bit. Hurry your rant so I can talk to you Jug. Jesus Christ.

"Can we not, Jughead?" Veronica begged. "Did you know about Southside High closing? Or the prison?" Jughead keeps asking.

Well, I don't care! It brought my boyfriend to this school, and I'd be damned if he transfers to another school or back to Southside High!

"Of course not. That was all her parents' doing. Right, V?" Betty says and turns to Veronica for an answer but Veronica looks away.

"She didn't know, Jughead, okay? So, back off" Archie swooped in and saved Veronica from an awkward answer.

"Fine. I have to conserve my energy anyhow. I'm going on a hunger strike to protest Southside High closing—and to get it reopened" Jug rants and I sigh.

"What?" Jughead asks as Archie chuckled. "Sorry, man, it's just—you're like always eating. Good luck with that, but—"Hey, it's Jughead's prerogative to protest peacefully, so, we're gonna support that, aren't we?" Betty butts in.

We all nod and Jughead flash me a small smile. "Veronica?" A voice calls. We turn to the source and see Ethel come up with a milkshake in her hands....

"Oh, Hey, Ethel" V, says with a smile and turns to Ethel. "For your crimes against Riverdale, everything your family has done and continue to do, we find you guilty. Your sentence is this" Ethel says and throws her milkshake at Veronica. I gasp along with everyone else.

"Ethel!" I blurt out in surprise. Betty and rise and help Veronica out of the canteen in a hurry and we help her wash out the milkshake in the ladies room. "Jesus Christ" I mumble.

"The chilling thing is Ethel went through the trouble of bringing that milkshake here from Pop's" I comment. "I mean, how mad is she?"

"My dad is responsible for the Muggs family losing basically everything. And he still hasn't made amends, so....Ethel has a right to be upset" Veronica says.

"So do you" Betty retorts and I nod. "Are you sure you're okay?" I ask. "I'll manage" V says.

"I'm impressed. I'd wanna rip Ethel's head off" Betty says. "I would have" I say. "As my mom keeps saying, 'this is not the time for drama and flying off the handle' I just need—to take deep breaths, keep smiling, turn the other cheek. Give Ethel a wide berth" Veronica says.

On the way out we see Reggie and he calls out for Veronica. "Veronica, I heard you got a face full of dairy. I've got some nuts to top off that shake" Reggie comments.

"Leave her alone, Mantle" I snap. "Don't talk to me snake" Reggie snarls. "Hey! You do not wanna push me around right now, Reggie" Veronica says. And I give her a side glance.

"One question I gotta ask as future student body president: what are the odds your dad's the first inmate in that prison he's building? Oh, man, that's heavy" Reggie says.

I step forward threateningly but Veronica puts her hand in front of me and blocks me.

"He'd Be considered one of us. Or is he building a female prison, too?" Reggie continues and clench my jaw.