Chapter Two: Almost Found Out?!

It was now the next day. I finally got the sleep I needed. Although I am still really tired. Thank god I don't have any tests today. At least I think I don't. I let the thought of tests drift to the back of my brain and get dressed into my uniform. Yes I have a uniform. It sucks. Now that I am dressed I continue getting ready.

I go into the bathroom to brush my teeth and tend to all my other sanitary needs. As I brush my teeth my little sister Julie walks in to do the same. I look down at her, still brushing my teeth. She looks back at me, but then her eyes drift down to my open jersey pocket. The one that has the letter inside. Before I can react she whips her hand in my pocket and pulls out the letter. "Hey!" I say as she grabs it. "That's mine! Give it back." I put my hand out to grab it but she moves it out of my reach. "I don't think so." she says. "Not until I look at it myself." she places her gaze on the letter but before she can read anything I snatch it from her hand. " You wouldn't be able to read it anyway." I say "It has lots of big words in it that you won't understand." After I say this her face screws up like she's gonna start crying. But I know what this means. "MUMMY!!!!!" she screams as she always does when she makes that face.

Thankfully I already started running. There is only one thing for me to do now. Burn the evidence. I arrive in my room just as she finished her scream. I know that I don't have the greatest memory so I think it will be good to write down the key information so I don't forget. I write down the stuff I think is important. Lab, 5.30, 5.45, 5.50, 7.00, 4.00 the next day. Wednesday 1st July, Superpowers, Don't tell anyone. I write all that stuff and anything else that may be important. I hear my mum coming up the stairs towards my room, my sister trailing close behind. As I leave I put the note in my pocket and zip it up. I hide in the bathroom while my mum passes, headed towards my room. Once she has passed and I know Julie is with her, I make a dash down the stairs and to the fireplace. Before throwing the letter in the fire I make sure no one is watching. Fortunately no one is.

The letter is now in the fire, turning to ash. I could watch this for hours, but I force myself to leave the fireplace. I need to hide the note somewhere other than my pocket. Julie will obviously tell mum that she found it in my pocket. I decide to put it in my bag. I'm pretty sure mum and Julie are still wandering around like headless chickens, not knowing where I am. Continuing to get ready seams like the most practical thing to do, seeing as doing this wouldn't connect me to this 'crime'.

It didn't take very long for mum to realise that I wasn't upstairs. At this point I am nearly ready, I just need to tie my hair up and I'm good to go. "April!" my mum calls. Okay. Time to prove my innocence. I go towards the noise. " Yes mum." I say all innocent like. "Julie said you had some letter. I'd like to see it." I force my facial expression to change. "What?" I say. "A letter? I never get those." Now her expression changes. "Your sister said she grabbed a letter from your pocket. But she didn't get to read it. What did it say?" she says as if there's something I'm not telling her. Well, there is. But I won't give in. "It didn't say anything! I didn't even get one. I honestly have no idea what your talking about. Are you sure Julie isn't sick? Do we need to take her to the doctor?" I say angrily. My mum just rolls her eyes at me. She opens her mouth to speck but Julie interrupts her. "I'm not sick April! Y-your just lying! I know you had something" she stutters with her famous puppy dog eyes. I learnt how to avoid those eyes a long time ago. They don't affect me now.

"She's not sick April. Its okay, I believe you." she says. Then she whispers in my ear. "Julie's probably having one of those days where she wants to get you in trouble. Tell me when you are ready and I will drop you off at school." I smile and walk off. As I leave I make a smug look at Julie. She just pokes her tongue out at me and sprints away. Phew I did it! That was close. Super close. I guess I now gotta go to school. School, I hate that word. Why do I have to go to school? I've already had way to much excitement for today. Oh I really hope I don't have any tests.