What The World Has Come To

Fae Pov
I turned around slowly and looked up at the man behind me.  "U-h.." I was very terrified.  "I'll ask again.  Who's the kid?"  My voice came out in a stutter.  " U-um my na-name i-is, um, Fae, Sir."   He looked around.  "OK, who brought Fae here?"  Zero stepped up.  " I did, Daniel.  She was running from some walkers, and she must have hit her head on a rock or something because she was bleeding, and she fell into a lake I was washing  my face in. So I took her to a small cave, bandaged her head, waited until it got light enough outside, and came back here. "  Daniel looked at me for a second before turning back to Zero.  " I'm guessing her parents..."  "Her mother did, she never knew her father."  He nodded and the turned to face me.  "So, your name's Fae, right?". I nodded.  "U-uh, yes Sir."  He smiled and held out his hand.  "I am Daniel, the leader of this group."  I slowly reached out shook his hand.  "Why don't you go hang out with Damien?". I nodded.  "OK."

Daniel Pov
I motioned everyone over to talk while Fae and my son played by the trees.  We were far enough away that they couldn't hear us, but we could still see them.  I turned to Zero.  "Why did you bring her here!?"  He stared straight back at me.  "She is a child and had nowhere to go.  She needs us, whether you like it, or not.". I growled in frustration.  " I understand that, but for all we know, she could be with.....them."  I whispered the last whispered the last word.  "She's eight!"  Kim said.  "I don't care!  I'd be cautious if she was five!"  Zero was getting frustrated.  "I won't leave a little girl out there with the risk she could be a wasted ally and friend!  That's basically murder"  I didn't want to have to go here, I really didn't.  "Oh, like how they murdered Your fiance and children!?"  Everyone went silent.  Until my wife, Cindy spoke up.  "Daniel!  How are you being so inconsiderate!?"  Kim piped up after.  "Yeah!  You know how sensitive he is about that!"  Gray joined in too.  " It was not his fault, and if this little girl is dangerous it still isn't-"  He was cut off by a scream coming from the kid's direction.  We looked over at them and a Walker was towering over them.  "Damien!"  I shouted.

Fae Pov
I heard Mister Daniel shout for Damien.  We were playing with cars when a Walker sneaked up on us and we screamed.  It walked-no, limped- towards me, and I was frozen in place.  "Fae!  Fae we need to move!"  I knew Damien was trying to pull me away, but I just couldn't move.  Finally he gave up and just went to go grab something I think.  The Walker toppled over on me and I finally snapped out of it and tried to push his shoulders up to keep his head away.  At this point I was screaming and crying.

Damien POV
I had to give up on pulling her away, so I went to grab something to kill the walker.  I saw Mom's katana on the floor and went to go grab it.  As soon as I got to it the adults reached us too.  Mom grabbed the katana and quick as lightning stuck through the Walker's head and pushed it off her.  She was was frozen again and her tearstained face was pale.  Zero, Kim, and Mom rushed over to her while Dad, Gray, and Cody stood by me and watched.

Zero POV
I sat the girl up as Kim and Cindy checked over her.  She was frozen and pale.  " Kid?  Hey, kid?  Guys, I don't think she's OK..."  "She wasn't bit at least."  Kim assured.  Finally Fae slowly turned her head to look at the walker, and she was shaking like crazy.  When she stared at it for a minute, her eyes widened and she started crying again and leaned over and nearly threw up.  "Fae!"  Damien shouted and ran over to her, but she just pushed him away and pulled her knees up to her chest.  Everyone got up and backed away.  She finally just lied down on her side and cried.  She cried a lot.  She eventually calmed down enough to go back and hang out with Damien again, this time by the fireplace, after we burned the Walker, of course.  I walked up to Daniel.  "Still think she's a danger?"  He sighed, "It's possible.  But...she is a child.  She can stay."

Fae POV

I was sitting on a log by the fireplace talking with Damien.  "So this is it, huh?"  He looked at me.  "What do you mean?"  I sighed.  "It's what the world has come to."  He nodded.  "The new sad truth of life.  But they'll protect us, and teach us how to survive and protect others."  "I hope so.  I don't think Mister Daniel likes me very much, though.  Mister Zero, neither."  He smiled at me.  "Don't worry, they're just careful.  They'll warm up to you in no time!"  I sighed.  "I hope so, Damien, I hope so."