Chapter 3

My life has always been about one thing: survival. I was now the leader of the hunters, sworn to protect the humans from werewolves or any paranormal threat. Axel only joined the hunters to find his sister, but I had a greater purpose and I would do anything to see it through. After all the world runs on visionaries.

I walked towards the balcony, men were training everywhere, the building smelled like sweat and weapons were constantly being broken. As I walked although the other hunters can't question me..I know many of them doubt my leadership. After all I went from Axels lapdog to their new leader. Axel and I are now on different paths. A journey that started for a girl and now he is gone. He is one of them: creatures that think humans are the abominations. That think we are the monsters that need to die out. Even though he is gone I can't help looking over my shoulder and hoping he is behind me.

As I watched the training, one of the younger hunters came up to me. The boys face paled and his dirt brown hair seemed to be the only color visible. His hands began to shake as he came up to me. His eyes barely meeting my gaze as he whispered "They're here to see you."  In a way this boy reminds me of myself, before we fought the werewolves, before hunters died to save others, before I learned to fight. When I was weak, when the others treated me like dirt. 

The boy lead me to the main entrance. As I opened the door, I saw people covered in rags and dirt...why would they come here? They didn't look like people who would want to hunt Leidolf. Everyone who came here, came with a purpose. Some come to avenge a loved one, others come for answers, questions that a textbook can not explain. Some come to serve their community..thinking they can be a hero getting rid of the shapeshifters.

A girl with messy red hair fell to the ground in front of me. Her voice shook as she spoke, "Please, we have no where to go..no one can help us. We heard rumors of the hunters, men who deal with supernatural forces." She stayed down not reaching my gaze, as if waiting for permission. Then I realized, she's begging me to help these people.

I shivered as she continued to beg, "We have been cursed." The girl began to ramble about how she didn't know why or how this happened. Then she rolled up her sleeve and it all made sense. There are others. I reached my hand down to help her up. As she took it I could see the dirt underneath her nails. "What's your name?" I wondered. The girl lifted her gaze and her voice was gentle "Celeste". "I'm Niel, first you guys need a bath and then clean clothes. We have fresh water and food" The girl was thin..how long has it been since these people had a descent meal?

The girls face glowed in gratitude. "I can help you. I won't stop until everyone is healthy." You can't even help yourself, how can you help them. It wasn't the first time I gave false promises. I would become a monster to help these people. I was a lone soldier fighting on a battlefield. Now I found my army and we would fight together. I opened the doors and we entered the training room.