Chapter 9- Alyssa

Silent. Kira was silent on the way back to the cabin. Her eyes were glossy as if she wasn't really here. What happened between her and Axel? Axel has made Kira's insecurities about leading come back. After training and supporting her for years..she lets him get to her. Honestly, it angers me that one person can ruin someone's confidence.

I remember when everyone doubted me: A girl should not learn how to use a sword. What makes you think you're going to make a difference? I remember when all the voices got to me. When scars became prizes, proving that I survived everything they did.  I tried to ask her what happened earlier but she shrugged and said she had to think. So me and Axel have been walking in silence.

"What did you say to her?" I muttered. Axel looked unnerved by my question, waiting for the blow. "I tried to cheer her up and I guess it didn't work." He said it simply as if he tried not to let it bother him. Why would it bother him? Maybe he finally realized  he's only a "hero"  in his sisters eyes. "We don't need someone else to help us. Do you think we're all charity cases? All broken toys that only you can fix?" Axel stared at me for a moment, his face full with unanswered questions. " If you're all broken then what am I?" He smirked. I wanted him to bring up the attacks, the hunters constantly going after werewolf villages. The hunters who hurt her and who will continue to hurt others.

But instead of reflecting on those actions he brought up his past. "After the incident, Sierra stopped talking about anything related to our parents, sometimes I swore she stopped sleeping. She was miserable" He sighed. "For a whole year she was isolated. It took me to long to realize but" he paused looking to Kira behind us. "What happened to her? She's angry or defensive all the time. And then she makes irrational decisions. If she's not doing either it's like she's not here." Your kind I wanted to spit out. The killers with the bows and arrows, the ones you used to lead. I sighed, "It is not my story to tell. Let's just say she got hurt, hurt so bad it might as well have ruined her. She got trapped in a fight she wasn't strong enough to win. She suffered because of it."  I want her to find joy again, but I don't know how long I will have to wait.  "So she made a mistake, I did too. I guess we'll both have to live with it until the burden washes away." Burden? What action could he have suffered that's worse than what he's already done?

I wanted to ask more, learn more about the hunter hiding everything. Why? To protect his secrets, I do the same. But when you have your own secrets it's easy to unlock others. Mine are buried but his are locked and the key is in his mind. I just need him to open up or else his secrets will end him. Like they almost ruined her. We approached the cabin, I was filled with relief, I took a breath I needed to focus. For her one of us had to be steady.

Cassidy was holding Sierra's hand humming a song, her voice sounded like an angel. It seems like she only hums when she's trying to hold onto hope. Holding onto a chance that Sierra will live. It seems like we're all holding onto a thread. As if the rope will break and our hope goes with it. It only takes a moment before everything can change. Axel brushed past her and Cassidys face was full of desperation, her voice was hoarse as she said "Did you find it?" I nodded her smile was faint, wondering if it would work. It will work, it has to.

"I got you Sierra, I'm here this time." Axel muttered as he gave her the plant. Cassidys hands began shaking and Axel grabbed hers, a simple gesture yet she looked calm. One, Cassidy's eyes became glossy. Two, Axels face filled with determination his eyes not leaving Sierra's sick face. Three, I held onto an arrow fidgeting with it in my hand, with only three words echoing through my head: she'll wake up. Four, she'll wake up, she'll wake up, she'll wake up. With a gasp, Sierra's eyes sprung open and Cassidys smile was so bright it could have lit up the room. Everyone was joyous except...I looked around at Kira.

She was a few steps away and her face was blank, trying to be strong for whatever she was about to say. Trying to drown out whatever emotions she had left. "Sierra, welcome back. Once you've recovered we need to leave immediately. The werewolves have requested a trial." She paused, a shiver went down my spin. What did we do? "For him." Her eyes locked with Axels and she left the room. For one moment it was peaceful, yet the rope is broken, helplessness is all we're left with. Despite my concerns for my fellow pack member I followed Kira and began to prepare for our journey.