Prologue

⠀⠀⠀The moon was the only thing lighting the path of a pitch-black tom as he wove his way off his territory. Leaving RiverClan behind this late at night made his pelt prickle uncomfortably.
⠀⠀⠀Sagestar had just become leader. Aspenstar, the former leader, had died just a moon earlier. He felt lost but at least he had his deputy, Cloverheart, to support him. RiverClan would be safe in his paws. Sagestar kept telling himself that but he still had his doubts. He'd picked Cloverheart because he was older and way more experienced. But the thoughts of Cloverheart taking care of RiverClan did not ease the other burden laying heavily on the black tom's shoulders.
⠀⠀⠀He was on his way to meet the leader of WindClan, Rabbitstar. She was a very intimidating and fierce she-cat, despite being so small. She'd been leader for a very long time, ever since Sagestar was an apprentice. He remembered arriving at his first Gathering and keeping as far from her as possible.
⠀⠀⠀Aspenstar wouldn't be afraid, Sagestar thought shamefully. He felt like a stupid kit worrying about this meeting. What did Rabbitstar want to say to him that couldn't wait for the next full moon?
⠀⠀⠀He halted and his breath immediately hitched in his throat as he saw her. She'd told him to meet her at Fourtrees, and he was there now. She was already settled there expectantly, her pure white fur shining silver under the moonlight. She looked up as she scented him.
⠀⠀⠀"Greetings, Sagestar," she meowed to him respectfully as he shakily approached her. Her amber gaze flashed as she looked into his face.
⠀⠀⠀"G-Greetings, Rabbitstar," Sagestar mewed back. He shook himself to hide his trembling and sat down next to her, making sure their pelts didn't brush in the process. He draped his tail over his front paws.
⠀⠀⠀"I expect you're aware what I want to talk about is very important," Rabbitstar began.
⠀⠀⠀Sagestar twitched his ears. "Yes, I'm sure it is," he replied. "Why else would you have told me to meet you alone?"
⠀⠀⠀Rabbitstar rose to her paws and began pacing back and forth in front of him. "I know you're a new leader, Sagestar," the white she-cat meowed. "You're very young. Only had one apprentice so far, am I correct?" She halted and stared at him quizzically.
⠀⠀⠀Sagestar gulped. "Yes, that is correct," he said.
⠀⠀⠀"So you don't have a lot of experience," Rabbitstar went on, proceeding to pace in front of him. "But I can't let this slide, just because you're new."
⠀⠀⠀Confusion immediately filled the RiverClan leader and he frowned. "I believe I don't know what you're talking about," he murmured.
⠀⠀⠀Rabbitstar halted again and met him with her ferocious stare. "Oh really?" she inquired suspiciously. She shook her head. "Don't lie to me. You young cats may think you're more clever than us elders just because your body is fresher, but you forget how wise and experienced an old cat is. I've been leader for seasons and seasons, Sagestar. This isn't the first time I've dealt with something like this. But this is the first time I've seen it this bad."
⠀⠀⠀Sagestar scrambled to his paws and stared at Rabbitstar, some of his intimidation of her melting. "Before you so falsely accuse me, please explain what is going on!"
⠀⠀⠀Rabbitstar hissed, arching her back. "That was really sick of you! Killing Icepaw and throwing him back over our border! You have no idea the grief his mother and siblings are going through!"
⠀⠀⠀Sagestar bared his teeth as shock rippled through him. "I didn't kill Icepaw! What are you talking about?"
⠀⠀⠀Rabbitstar flicked her bobbed tail angrily. "Don't lie to me!" she snarled. She unsheathed her claws. "This means war, Sagestar. You don't get to mess with WindClan and devise whatever plan your young mind has invented. You may be younger and stronger than me, but I'm smarter and more cunning."
⠀⠀⠀Sagestar dug his claws into the grass. "You're delusional, that's what you are!" he retaliated. He couldn't believe this. He'd had no idea about Icepaw's death. "How do you know it was us?"
⠀⠀⠀Rabbitstar stepped towards him. "There was RiverClan scent all over his body," she growled.
⠀⠀⠀"Oh yeah?" Sagestar hissed back. "Then which cat was it?"
⠀⠀⠀"If you think I've memorized each of your cats' scents individually, then you're the delusional one!" Rabbitstar yowled. "But it was definitely a tom!"
⠀⠀⠀Sagestar took a pace closer to her until their muzzles were only a claw-length apart, their tails lashing behind both of them. "Well, I'm not the only tom in RiverClan," he muttered darkly. "I did not kill Icepaw!"
⠀⠀⠀"It was one of your warriors!" Rabbitstar spat.
⠀⠀⠀"Then I'll find out who and they'll receive the appropriate consequences," Sagestar told her. "There is no need to declare war on RiverClan over a dead cat!"
⠀⠀⠀"A dead cat that is only dead because RiverClan murdered him," the small she-cat hissed. "I have every right to declare war on your pathetic excuse for a Clan!"
⠀⠀⠀"StarClan would not want this," Sagestar meowed, feeling desperate and afraid at this point. His heart was pounding so fast he was certain it would explode from his chest.
⠀⠀⠀Rabbitstar flashed her gaze towards the night sky. "Really?" she mewed. "Well, I don't see them covering the moon."
⠀⠀⠀Sagestar followed her gaze to see the half-moon up above looking completely untouched by any surrounding clouds. He looked to the WindClan leader again.
⠀⠀⠀"So I guess StarClan blames RiverClan as much as I do," Rabbitstar told him darkly. "Be prepared, Sagestar. We will get our revenge, one way or another."
⠀⠀⠀With that, she whirled around and stalked out of the clearing, leaving Sagestar alone, his whole body trembling with shock.