Chapter 15

A moon had passed since WindClan attacked RiverClan. Redwing, Sleetfall, and Laketuft were still mourning over the loss of their mother and Quailpaw was growing more anxious as the days went by. She was very attached to Rubblepaw and Otterpaw, more than she usually was. Their presence was comforting and helped her keep her head up.

The last Gathering had been tense and had ended in ruffled pelts and anger. ShadowClan and ThunderClan still insisted on keeping their noses out of this conflict which in a way angered Quailpaw. Didn't they realize that two Clans at war was never a good sign? Quailpaw had never lived through any other major issues like this but she had been told stories. Usually the other Clans stepped in and helped. Why was it different now?

She had also spotted Turtlepaw at the Gathering and had tried to talk to her but any time she barely came a tail-length near a WindClan warrior, she was met with bared teeth and a threatening hiss. And so she had been unable to come into contact with her friend. This left Quailpaw feeling rather upset. She hadn't spoken to the black she-cat in such a long time.

Now the Siamese she-cat was sitting outside the apprentices' den, her fur fluffed up against the chill. Leafbare still had about two moons left before it was over and she was already craving the warmth of newleaf. Thankfully, though, this leafbare seemed to be doing okay. No cats were sick and prey was easy to find. Of course, RiverClan cats ate well no matter the season due to their love for fish.

Quailpaw lifted her head slightly as Sagestar made his way towards the Willow. He jumped up onto the lower branches and swept his golden gaze across the clearing. "Let all cats old enough to swim gather here for a Clan meeting!"

Cats streamed out of their dens and assembled around the tree's base. Anxiety, curiosity, and interest lingered in the gazes and Quailpaw took a seat next to Eaglepaw. Her brother was frowning at the RiverClan leader.

Cloverheart placed himself among the roots of the Willow, his tail tucked over his forepaws and his green eyes blank and unreadable.

Sagestar cleared his throat before beginning the meeting. "Cats of RiverClan," he meowed, his voice echoing around the clearing. "It has been a moon since Rabbitstar launched an attack on us. I lost one of my lives and Voletail was killed." He paused, grief flashing in his eyes for a second before he pushed on. "WindClan has made it obvious they aren't going to give up this fight and they obviously want us to back into submission. Some of the senior warriors may call me naive for making this choice, but we are going to attack WindClan soon."

Meows of shock rippled through the clearing. Eeltail rose to his paws, his eyes gleaming with excitement. "That's a wonderful idea, Sagestar!" he called out.

Creekfall stepped up next, her head tilted to one side. "Are you sure?" she questioned. "Reacting will only feed the fire, not extinguish it."

Sagestar lifted his tail for silence. "Voletail will not die for nothing," he muttered darkly.