Chapter Eleven - Trampoline Time

"Woah." I felt lightheaded as I climbed off of Drew's motorbike, handing him the spare helmet he'd made me wear. "That was so freaking awesome!" I gushed, turning to face Drew as he took off his own helmet.

       I paused slightly, taking in the scene before me. He was shoving the helmet I'd just had on into a compartment in his motorbike. His own helmet was in the crook of his arm and the leather jacket he wore... it just completed the whole 'bad boy' look. My eyes involuntarily slid up and down, taking him all in. He looked good. Really good.

        "I'm glad you enjoyed it." He turned to me, a playful glint in his eyes, and paused, looking at me strangely. I was practically giddy on my feet as I stood there, the exhilaration not having left me. I giggled a little as a gust of wind blew my hair in front of my face, and tucked the wild strands behind my ear. I wanted to do it again. "I told you there was nothing to be scared about," Drew told me, his held titled to the side as he looked at me. He almost looked dazed.

        "I wasn't scared in the first place," I protested. As I turned around, I bumped into someone. "Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't looking where I was..." I trailed off as I looked properly and noticed that I hadn't bumped into anyone at all. No, I'd bumped into a mannequin.

       Well that wasn't embarrassing at all.

       "Oh my god, that was hilarious!" Drew spluttered, laughing long and hard as he clutched his stomach.

        "Shut up." I glowered at him. "It wasn't that funny," I muttered, watching him. I'd never seen him laugh so freely before. It was kind of endearing. "Why on earth do you have a mannequin out here anyway?" I asked exasperatedly, pointing at the thing that was sporting a big hat and a ridiculous, flowery dress.

        "Our neighbour is cleaning out her garage, so she left a few things out for us to store for her," he explained. Sobering up, he nodded at some boxes on the floor that I hadn't noticed before. "Come on, let's go in. I'm starving."

       After grabbing two coke cans, some large packets of Doritos, and a salsa dip we headed outside into the beautiful sunny day. We ended up sitting on the massive trampoline Drew and Jack had in their back garden as we took turns dipping the crisps into the spicy-flavoured dip.

       We had taken our bags with us though, and worked out what we needed to get done for our psychology presentation and then divided the work into half. This took a total of fifteen minutes and after moving the empty crisp packets and cans to the side of the trampoline, we ended up lying down and staring at the sky.

        "Ellie?" I heard Drew call quietly, hesitantly.

        "Hmm?" It was so quiet and peaceful out here. The sun was blazing, but it wasn't sweltering, and with it shining down on us, I felt the earlier drowsiness I'd felt in Mr McKenzie's classroom return. My eyes were shut, and my body relaxed as we both lay there.

        "Do you think we would ever have been friends or, hell, even have talked if our parents weren't dating?" he asked, in the same quiet tone. I opened my eyes to look at him properly, only to see that his were already on me, watching me contemplatively. He glanced away when I caught his eyes.

        "Are we friends now?" I teased, smiling a little. "I didn't get the memo."

        "We are," he stated. "Aren't we?" he looked embarrassed as hell now, and I suddenly felt guilty for poking fun at his question.

       "We are friends," I confirmed, realising it was true. I enjoyed spending time with Drew. A lot. "And, I guess, I really don't know if we would be lying here today if our parents weren't engaged," I told him truthfully. "I mean, I realise now that most of what I thought about you was a complete misconception."