Slum lords and used condoms

"You're telling me this psycho has you locked in his apartment like some deranged serial killer?" Karsen sighed.

I opened the medicine cabinet: sleeping pills, energy pills and some sort of antiseptic cream.

"Yes. And as far as I know we aren't going anywhere until we get this girl to agree to help bring my dad back." I looked in the trash can and almost puked.

Karsen groaned. "I miss you. California isn't the same without you."

I nudged the trash can away with my shoe and took a seat. Kenny was right outside and I didn't want to put up with him.

"Karsen my father is in the trunk of his car. I am not here on vacation."

"I know. I just don't know what to say anymore. Everyone's asking questions. Kidd is mentally drained from wiping all these people's memories every day."

It could have been worse. Kidd could have been locked in Kenny's nasty bathroom held prisoner. "Well, tell Kidd I appreciate each and every memory he erases. It means the world." And I meant it. If it weren't for Kidd, we would have been in even more trouble than we were now.

Someone wrapped on the door. I covered the phone before I lashed out. "Can't a girl have a few minutes alone?"

"You've had your minutes. Now get the fuck out here," Kenny said.

I rolled my eyes and unlocked the door. "I have to go. The psycho has summoned me."

Karsen sighed. "Tell him Cherry still hates him and if he does anything to my friend I will be sure my boyfriend guts him."

Kenny rolled his eyes. "Tell blondie she wishes her boyfriend had the balls to even consider it."

I didn't humor him; instead I hit end on my phone and plopped down on his sleazy leather sectional next to Slade.

"This place is disgusting," I pointed out. I looked around at all the take out boxes and empty beer cans. He sure lived the bachelor lifestyle.

"That's one of the perks of living alone," he said. "I can do whatever the fuck I want."

I crossed my arms. "Judging by your wastebasket filled with used condoms you aren't alone much." It disgusted me.

Slade leaned back on the sofa. "I didn't expect anything less out of him. The part that shocks me, the last time I saw him he was rolling in dough. What happened?"

I looked Kenny over. He didn't look rich. It was hard to believe. The designer jeans and nice watch offered a hint of that lifestyle. But the apartment did nothing to prove it.

"A lot of gambling and a lot of drinking," he said. "It makes you go broke fast."

"I don't mean to change the subject but what's in this for you?" I raised an eyebrow. "What could her bringing my dad back have to do with you?"

He was on his feet before I could say anymore. He rifled through some mail and tossed over some papers. Slade looked them over, and I read over his shoulder.

"He was part of a billion dollar company," Slade said. "And that girl was his partner."

"What kind of company?" I asked.

"We were in the business of bringing back the dead. And if you can't figure it out it was really lucrative." Kenny takes a seat across from us. "Once Eve found out she couldn't raise the dead anymore she quit and shit went south quick. I left Jersey, blew through my half and came back let's just say bitter."

I looked at Slade. He rubbed the back of his neck. "You expect us to believe you were able to spend billions of dollars?"

Kenny shrugs. "Believe whatever you want. You think I would live here if I had the money to live somewhere else?"

I stood up. "Even if we can help she hates you. She's never going to work with you again."

"I guess you better get really creative, because if I'm not rolling in dough pretty soon you're going to be worrying about more than your dad's body in my trunk."