Chapter 6 - She's a Queen

Eid Mubarak!!! 

Telugu words in chapter: Nanna = Father.

---***---

"So, the actress quit. You want to replace her with a scientist?" asked Shubha, in a serious tone.

"Yes" Vikram answered.

"And you are disregarding the fact that there are hundreds of actresses who auditioned for this role and the casting director has been working for almost a week to select the perfect girl among them?"

"Yes"

"Now you are trying to convince someone who doesn't even know the basics of acting and has high chances of making everyone laugh at her with her performance?"

"That's not the... er,... I am going to pretend you didn't say the last part" said Vikram. "Any more questions?"

"Only one."

"Go ahead. Please." He smiled.

"You are joking. Right?"

His smiled vanished. "Look. I don't know what you understood from this. But I am definitely not joking. I am serious. I am offering this role to you. Your remuneration will be..." he thought for a while, "50 lakhs."

Everyone in the hall gasped. For a new comer, that kind of remuneration was unheard of. Shubha was totally convinced that he was joking. She stood up. "That's it. Now I understood. Vikram sir is bored. So, he is trying to have fun by fooling me." 

She turned towards him with her fists clenched in anger. He instinctively moved backwards to avoid getting punched by her again. 

He spoke again only after making sure that she won't hit him again. "Subbu, I am not joking. When I worked on the script along with dad, I imagined the character with fierce eyes, graceful in every act and extremely poised. Someone who can look equally convincing while both nurturing her loved ones and destroying her enemies. I was disappointed when dad chose Nisha. But now, I have the opportunity to cast the right person. It is you." He said trying to keep the emotion in his voice to minimum.

Shubha stayed silent for a while. She spoke after a few minutes. "Sir. You have to understand. I am a scientist. I have to go back to where I came from. I can't stay here forever."

"Think about it." He said.

"Okay. I will just go now. I think you should continue the audition process. You wasted a lot of time." She walked towards the exit, clearly indicating that she wasn't interested.

"Subbu." He called her. "My offer is still open. Take your own time. But tell me your decision by evening. So, no hurry I guess." He said, grinning. She glared at him before leaving.

"She left" said Sumanth.

"She will come back" said Vikram, still grinning.

"Vicky, is 50 your favourite number?" asked Naresh. "First you offered her fifty thousands. Now you offered her fifty lakhs."

"Actually, during my childhood, my dad set a target for me. 'Score 50 out of 100 in Mathematics and you will be allowed to watch your favourite TV show.' I struggled a lot and finally achieved 50 marks in 4th standard. I love that number." He told the story. They burst out laughing.

"I'm leaving" said Vikram.

"What about the audition?" asked Naresh.

"You watch the remaining performances. I'll wait for her to return. If she doesn't accept, let's finalize the best among these girls." He left for his office. He was sure she would return. When he reached his office, he saw Chris and Dhwani waiting for him.