Chapter 1

Y/N took a deep breath before entering to tall building. Here goes nothing. She thought entering inside.
Immediately Y/N could feel the stares, Y/N shut her eyes tight and tensed up. "Who are you?" Someone asked quite mockingly.
"I'm Y/N-Y/N L/N." Y/N stuttered with fear.
"Whatcha doin in here, youse a goil. Goils don't have a place here." Another newsie spat.
"I-I know it's-its just."
"Move." Someone said interrupting Y/N's stuttering.
Everyone immediately moved out of the way showing a very short boy, shorter then Y/N.
"So who did ya say youse was?" The boy asked puffing out his chest.
"Um, Y/N." Y/N hesitantly responded.
"Well Y/N. I'm Spot, Spot Conlon." Spot said holding out a hand.
"Hold on minute youse jus gonna let a goil in here?" Someone asked.
Spot turned his head with anger slapped across it. "Yeah, youse got a problem with dat?" Spot told the newsie.
"N-no." The newsie quickly stood down.
Spot cleared his throat. "Ok, so likes I was saying, hey! I'm Spot Conlon. Your here cause ya want ta be a newsie right?" Spot asked.
"Y-yes." Y/N said hesitantly grabbing hold of Spot's hand.
"Well then why don't ya get started. Ya can sell papes with me." Spot offered.
"Oh, I couldn't." Y/N shyly declined.
"I wasn't asking for ya permission." Spot added making himself quite clear.
"Oh." Y/N mumbled.
Spot let go of Y/N's hand. "Alright newsies, move out!" Spot called as the newsies all filed out of the Lodging centre.
"Don't worry, I'll make sure not a soul lays a hand on ya." Spot said walking out of the centre.
Y/N stood in silence for a moment. What just happened? She asked herself.
Y/N didn't question herself for long though, not before getting interrupted by Spot Conlon mid thought. "Ya coming?" He asked peaking his head in.
"Ah, yeah I'm coming." Y/N said walking out of the centre.
Y/N walked along side Spot, quite shyly. She wanted to ask how such a short guy could have so much control over so many, but she figured it wasn't in her best interest to ask.
Now little to Y/N knowledge that this was the start of something great, a great friendship that is. Jump about two years later and Y/N was a full fledged newsie. She was good friends with Spot at this point. Spot made sure no one would hurt Y/N, but with everyone being absolutely terrified of Spot not that many people tried to hurt Y/N.
"Rise 'n shine newsboys and newsgoil of Brooklyn, da papers ain't gonna sell themselves!" Spot shouted waking everyone up.
Y/N got up from her small cot. Y/N shared a bedroom with two other people. They were polite boys though and respected Y/N and her privacy, so it wasn't really a issue. Once the two boys left the room, Y/N got dressed into her clothes and tucked her h/c into her newsie cap.
Y/N walked outside, seeing newsies running around, getting ready. Y/N made her way down the stairwell, but was stopped by a familiar face. "Where ya going in such a hurry?"
Y/N looked in front of her to see Spot. Y/N smiled. "I wanted ta get ta da gate before da rest." Y/N explained.
Spot nodded his head, displaying that he understood. Spot then proceed to measure
Y/N. "What are ya doing?" Y/N asked.
"Taller." Spot smiled.
Y/N rolled her eyes, it was true. Spot over the span of two years had grown two, almost three inches taller then Y/N. "Well, see ya later." Y/N said walking out of the building.
Sure being a newsie may not be the best thing, but it's also something Y/N wouldn't trade for all the fame and money in the world, because the newsies of Brooklyn were her family and honesty she could never part with that.
A/N Thank you for reading my stuff I appreciate it
The Author