17: Numb.

Brit: mike

m:what

Britt: I'm in labor.

m: oh fuck Omw.

Mike jumped up from the bed, waking Billie.

"What happened, Mike?"

"Brittney's in labor." He said, disoriented.

Billie gasped and threw on grey sweatpants, black sneakers, and a Stephen King shirt.

Mike put on a shirt with a pig on it, black jeans, and his black sneakers.

Billie drove Mike to the hospital, dropped him off in the front as Mike ran inside. Billie found parking and jogged inside, putting his sunglasses on.

"Brittney Cade." He said, panting.

Mike was already in the delivery room.

"You can't go in the room, but you can certainly wait in the lobby on the third floor. Labor and Delivery."

Billie nodded and took the sticker, getting on the elevator.

After four hours of waiting, Mike walked into the lobby area, where Billie was asleep on one of the long benches.

"Billie."

He sat up almost immediately, smiling.

"So?"

"It's a girl. They just did the dna test right now, but we'll get the results in a couple of hours."

"Oh, Mike. That's so good." He hugged his husband.

"What did you name her?"

"Ryan Ruby Mae."

They waited six or so hours and the doctor walked into the lobby where Billie was sleeping on Mike.

"Micheal Pritchard?"

Billie woke up, Mike and Billie walking to the doctor.

"Micheal, congratulations you're the father of Ryan. It says here.." he showed Mike the clipboard, pointing at numbers with a pen. "96% father."

What about the other four percent? Billie thought.

Mike grinned and hugged the doctor.

"Thank you so much."

"No problem."

Billie smiled at Mike.

Ryan Ruby Mae Pritchard was born. Billie and Mike were dads now. Married dads.

Billie stopped pretending. His dream came true.

A wave of relief flushed Billie's face as he walked into Brittney's room, seeing the newborn in her crib.

He walked over to the baby, she was blonde like her mother.

"Hi, Rye..." he picked her up, holding her in his arms.

She grabbed Billie's finger and giggled.

"I'm Billie, and that's your papa, Mike. Over there is your mama."

Brittney sniffled.

"Mike?"

Mike walked over to her. "Yeah?"

"You can keep her. You deserve her. I'm a whore. I don't want her to see me. I want her to hate the thought of me."

Mike shook his head.

"No. She... she... I-I want you to see your baby too. I'm not going to do that to you. Even though you cheated on me, the baby doesn't have any fault for that. She shouldn't have to suffer to be without a mother like I did over stupid choices."

She was sobbing, and Billie was cooing to the little girl in his arms.

"Awh, whose a wittle baby? You are! Yes you are! You're gonna be a fucking rad musician like your daddies."

"No, Mike. I.. don't want to see her."

Billie glanced their way, feeling uncomfortable.

"Brittney, please."

"Mike, no. You need to understand. I want nothing to do with her. She doesn't need me, she has two great fathers now."

Mike's eyes were shrink-wrapped in tears.

"Okay."

"Mike.. I have to tell you something." She said, lifting the gown she was wearing.

"I have cancer." She said, showing Mike the clear tube emerging from her stomach.

"Brittney..." he said, examining the tube.

Billie tried keeping his cool, but he was breathing shallowly.

"She.." he whispered to himself.

"Everything's gonna be okay, Brittney."

Ryan began crying and Billie looked to Mike for help.

"Let me carry her one last time." Brittney said, wiping her tears.

Billie handed over the fragile child.

Mike and Billie hugged, Mike crying into Billie's shoulder.

"Mommy loves you, baby."

"ooo." Ryan responded.

im sry