4

third person

Michael huffed and perched himself at the lunch table, the exact spot he perched himself every other day. It was like a rule that the green-eyed boy sat there, he claimed it. Just like how his best friend, Luke, claimed the space right beside him.

Lunch was Michael's favorite part of the six long hours he spent in school. The cafeteria always had the odor of whatever the lunch line was providing that way. It was revolting, but held a special place in his little, punk heart. The chatter surrounding them was such a calming reminder that there was no attention or focus on him; no pressure to act a certain way to please the teachers or students. A period where he could just enjoy passing some time with his closest mate.

He tiredly plunked his brown, crinkly lunch bag onto the table's surface. Michael may have been in high school, but he still preferred when his mom made his lunch. Otherwise, he'd stuff the paper bag with Cheetos and Kit-Kats. Plus Karen had always wrote his name on the front in big, fancy letters.

"I'll trade you my apple for your banana." Luke offered him, with hope evident in his sky blue eyes.

Michael smiled and shook his head. "I don't know why you buy apples if you never eat them."

Luke groaned and leaned his head into his hands. He seemed to really care about which fruit he'd be consuming.

"But Michael, it matches your hair!" He tried, holding the apple up to Michael's red hair, which only made him chuckle in response with another shake of the head.

Luke huffed grumpily but suddenly perked up at someone across the cafeteria.

"Ashton! Ash! Over here!" Luke called to him, making other students stare. Michael scratched at the back of his pale neck, pretending not to know the boy yelling right next to him. Which was truly fruitless, because everyone had known Luke and Michael were practically attached at the hip.

"Shut up, Luke." Michael embarrassedly pulled at his sleeve, praying for him to stop his shouting.

Luckily, Ashton took notice of Luke and came over, standing awkwardly at the foot of the table. Ashton was friends with the other two, of course, but he never sat with them at lunch. He had two other inseparable dorks to regroup with during this period.

"What're you doing, you look as stiff as a board. Sit down." Luke ushered him, moving his binders and homework folder to clear space for the curly-headed man.

Ashton felt a bit guilty as he explained that he sits with other friends of his at lunch, and they'd be offended if he hadn't joined them.

Luke laughed, "Then bring them over. In case you didn't notice, this table is empty." And it was true, the only beings occupying space were Michael and Luke plus their belongings. The boys didn't exactly have a ton of friends, per say.

"I really don't think that's a good ide-" Ashton was cut off by an arm being outstretched around his shoulders, making his sigh and pinch the bridge of his nose, never ready for their antics.

"Ashton," Ashley started, dragging out the 'n' sound, "what's taking so long buddy?"

Jay appeared on his other side, making him flinch from the suddenness of her appearance.

"Come on, we've been waiting since 500 BCE. We have things to talk about." She complained, attempting to drag him away by his hand, which was probably twice the size of hers.

The pair loved reeking havoc on Ashton, as a joke of course. It was comedic to them, he symbolized an irritated mother with her needy toddlers. Or even a mama bird, with her chicks squawking in her face constantly. Everyone around them found amusement in Ashton having to tolerate them.

Luke and Michael glanced at each other, in the dark about the identities of the girls. Although Michael didn't notice the blush progressively spread across Luke's face.

Michael cleared his throat, making the duo stop borderline harassing their friend and give him their full attention. He didn't recognize them. One wore baby pink and the other wearing all black. Michael couldn't fathom how the two girls were friends with such a dramatic contrast between their looks. Then again, Ashton owns a My Little Pony T-shirt.

"Care to introduce us, Ash?" Michael asked, even though it wasn't really a question, it was more of a request.

"What?" The girl on the right of Ashton asked, but the girl on the left of him just scolded her.

"He's not talking to you, stupid idiot." The two silenced, realizing Ashton was waiting for them to seize their pointless bickering.

"This," he said gesturing to the one who was pretty in pink, "is Jay. You probably know her. Here let me..." Ashton picked up each half of her hair to make it resemble pigtails, earning himself a forceful swat to the chest for messing up her hair.

"Oh of course, the cheerleader!" Michael exclaimed in realization. How could he forget? He had science with her, and she sat in the back constantly correcting the teacher under her breath.

He glanced over at Luke, taking note of his lack of speech. No, Luke wasn't ever a social butterfly, but he didn't ever sit in silence the way he had been for the previous couple minutes. Michael then understood when he saw the pinkness of his face, but didn't say anything to humiliate the boy.

"And this," he flicked the pale girl's face (which once more, earned a swat to the chest), "is Ashley. You probably don't know her because she doesn't do anything or talk to anyone."

"Nice to meet you then." Michael smiled brightly, as he needed more friends than just Luke and Ashton. Of course they were more than enough, but they had lives too, which meant they couldn't be with him 24/7.

Ashley flushed a shade of red brighter than Michael's hair dye, and returned the gesture.

"Now if you'll excuse me, I need to babysit these two." Ashton waved, walking away with the two shorter girls on his trail, trying to keep up with his unnecessarily speedy pace.

Michael and Luke looked back at each other, eyebrows raised in a mixture of entertainment and confusion.

And Luke spent the remainder of his lunch nibbling at his apple, like a mouse to cheese, as Michael made fun of the younger boy for his rosy cheeks.