10

third person

It was an extremely hot day, everyone outdoors feeling as if their sweat sizzled on their sunburnt skin. Sure, Australia was known for its high temperatures and bright sun rays, but they'd never truly be used to the humidity.

"Come on, you can do better than that!" The coach prodded, unsatisfied with Ashley's jump length. Jay and Ashton were propped on the grass near the bleachers, observing the sport and sending encouraging smiles. Pompoms and bows lay beside Ashton's feet, as cheer practice occurred directly before track and field. The cheerleaders hair was sprawled across Ashton's lap as he stole flowers from the ground, tucking them into Jay's brown locks. She sighed contently and closed her eyes, leaving Ashton to watch Ashley's next jump. Ashton had apologized to Luke before school started, and they hugged it out. So Jay no longer had a reason to hold a grudge against Ashton.

The green haired girl ran and leaped right before the foul line, kicking a leg out before landing.

"There ya go, kid!" The coach exclaimed, slapping her shoulder in satisfaction of her improvement. Ashley grimaced but awkwardly smiled back at him.

She glanced back to Ashton to see if he was watching, which he was. He gave her a double thumbs up and a huge grin, which she contagiously smiled back to. No one, No one, can fight the smile off their face when Ashton does. It's like a magical mood lifter, instantly making people's days just that much better.

As this was going on, Luke was working on his long distance running. Working his way around the red rubber track, he felt happy. Luke was proud of himself for pushing himself and Michael to join a sport. It killed plenty of time, would keep him in shape, and it would make him look better in the yearbook.

The wind flowed through his blonde hair, making him feel a sense of freedom. His eyes travelled over to Jay, checking if she was watching him.

She wasn't.

Ashton's hands tangled in her newly decorated hair, giggling along with her at some stupid joke. Luke turned away, he was funny, wasn't he? He really needed to learn to accept that he would never mean anything to her compared to Ashton.

After practice, a sweaty Ashley joined her two friends on the cold grass, regaining her breath and chugging down water.

"Woah okay aqua man, relax." Ashton chuckled at the nearly empty water bottle.

Ashley glared and downed the last of it, chucking the plastic at his head.

"That's the most exercise I've done in my life." Ashley exaggerated, "I'm gonna get changed." She had started to store some clothes in the back on Ashton's car, in case they had plans right after practice, like today. The three were going to host another study session that night.

"Doesn't aqua man live in water? Does he even drink water?" Jay asked, not knowing much about superheroes, nor their environment and eating habits.

Ashton simply shrugged in response as Ashley trotted back in fresh clothes.

"So, are we ready to go?" Ashton asked the two, stretching his limbs. They nodded and the trio began walking to Ashton's car before pausing, hearing a shouting Michael behind them.

"Hey! Hey, hey. Are you guys busy? I have a coupon for the arcade so..." Michael trailed off, raising his eyebrows is curiosity at them. It wasn't a surprise he had a coupon, for the redhead liked to spend his weekends at the local arcade. Who wouldn't really? After all, they had pizza, games, and catchy background music.

"Actually we w-" Ashley cut Jay off, earning an annoyed look.

"Nope, I'm not busy, they were gonna study for the math test, but I don't take the same math class as them." She lied, earning a proud smile from Ashton. Jay was about to protest, but Ashton slyly elbowed her arm without gaining their attention.

"Well, hope you guys do alright, let's go, Ashley." Michael smiled at the two before walking off with Ashley. She gave her friends a not-so-subtle wink before turning her focus to the tall boy next to her.

"Why would you frickin do that? She's literally going to fail this math test." Jay scolded Ashton once they were out of sight.

"She'll do fine, besides, what's more important: one failed test or Michael to make her day? You know she adores him."

Jay sighed, knowing Ashton was right like always. "But we're gonna hear about it for the next month." She whined.

Ashton giggled and snaked his arm around her waist. "You'll get your turn to talk about Luke, don't worry." She groaned and shoved him away, sliding into the passenger seat. Ashton just shook his head with his lip tugged upward as he put his key into the ignition and listened to his car start up.