3

third person

Calum breathed in the fresh air of the Thursday afternoon. It was the perfect day for a little competition; the warm air gliding against his smooth skin as he jogged down the field. He had had a difficult time in school today, taking out his struggles on the football as he passed the ball on to his teammate.

Making his way closer to the opposing team's defense, Calum gestured for the boy to pass the ball back, for he had a clear shot.

Once he had the football between his cleats, the ball was launched into the goal, causing the ocean of people crowding the bleachers to erupt into a fit of hollers and claps.

Calum was swarmed by his team, receiving high fives and pats on his back. He simpered to himself and wiped the beads of sweat off of his forehead. It had been announced that it was halftime, which permitted the cheerleaders to perform their routine on the field.

The two parties of players made their way to the sidelines, crouching down and catching their breath. The cheer squad did things with their bodies that Calum would be too anxious to ever attempt, although he did love to observe the girls participate in the flips and kicks.

The water boy made his way to Calum, offering him a full plastic bottle with condensation dripping down the sides.

"Thanks Lucas." Calum gratefully told his friend, tearing the cap off and downing half the bottle in only a few swigs.

"It's just Luke," the blonde water boy told him, "but yeah, you're welcome column." Luke carried on through the group of panting boys, handing water to those who wanted it.

Calum internally rolled his eyes at his attitude, but finished the remaining water he'd received anyway. He crinkled the empty container in his hands and carelessly tossed it to the side, knowing someone else would pick it up for him.

Luke plopped himself onto the cold, metal bench next to Calum. Neither said anything, as they were both gawking at the energetic cheerleaders whom where mere yards away. Luke hadn't ever shown much interest in girls, as he wasn't the best at maintaining conversations. Constantly, he reminded himself that if a girl is remotely interested, she'll speak to him. There was no need for the boy to humiliate himself to someone who didn't feel the same. Therefor, he saved himself the embarrassment of rejection and saved himself for his 'Ms.Right' to come along.

However, there was nothing wrong with having some school spirit when cheerleaders... well, cheered.

Whistles and yells came from the football team, encouraging the girls further. Although one of them managed to catch Luke's eye. He hadn't ever seen her, but then again he hadn't really know the majority of students in his grade. She had brunette pigtails that bounced with every move she made, large framed glasses balanced on her nose, and an incredibly obvious fake smile on her face.

Luke couldn't blame her, having to act as a peppy, happy, cheery girl for large time intervals was probably exhausting. Though she wouldn't be doing it if she disliked it. Perhaps something had happened that day that influenced her mood; either way she didn't seem to be up to it today.

He jumped out of his daze when Calum nudged his ribs from beside him, gaining Luke's attention.

"See someone you like?" Calum teased with a wink, flustering him.

Blood rushed to Luke's cheeks and he rapidly shook his head in denial. He would never tell Calum about a girl, after all he didn't even know her; she was just physically attractive to him.

Laughter erupted from Calum after taking in his friend's current state. He followed Luke's stare. "Is it Belle? She's pretty smart but kinda obnoxious, I wouldn't if I were you."

"No idiot, the girl next to Bel-" Luke cut himself off, mentally slapping himself in his rosy red face and preparing for the torturous jokes.

But none ever came.

"You mean Jay? Oh man, she's totally your type, you should go for it. Plus she's short, short girls are adorable." Calum encouraged, the opposite of what Luke readied himself for.

Luke looked at him confusedly, like a puppy when you pretend to throw a toy but in reality it's still held firmly in your grip. Calum had a tendency to always poke fun whenever Luke was embarrassed, like a brother. So it was peculiar for him to behave this way.

"Calum," Luke began his whine, "I don't even know her, stop." The 'o' being dragged out with his toddler-like tone.

The older of the two sighed and patted Luke's back as he stood to return to the field, for the cheer had ended.

"I think you should get to know her then, you'd get along like Romeo and Juliet." Calum tried convincing with a final pat to the shoulder before jogging back to his position on the field.

"Yeah, and we all know how that book ended." Luke murmured to himself, although it was hardly audible due to the coach barking commands and people stomping against the hot bleachers to create a cheer themselves, birds seeming to shout with them from the sky.

Perhaps Luke's friend had a point, maybe he's being too stubborn by waiting for a girl to initiate with him. Is it wrong to have high expectations? Luke believed he was worth the effort, however he didn't want to have to put relationships on hiatus. It seemed...wimpy to fear being shut down.

He shook his head and chuckled at himself (which may have caused a few stares from the benched players), how could he let some random girl, whom he had never even spoken to, make him reconsider his views and standpoints.

But when Luke glanced over and saw the cheer girl, or Jay, laughing and smiling with her friends, he may have felt his heart skip a beat.

And he definitely did not think about that smile on his brief walk home.