p r o l o g u e

"Alex, what should I do?" I ask. 

"I don't know, Kara, there's nothing to do right now," she says back. 

We're sitting in my loft with a box of potstickers in my lap. 

"I don't know, it's just, everything's changed. It's only been three days since everything happened but, I don't know," I sigh. 

"It's not the same without them."

"J'onn leaving was totally unexpected," I say. 

"Yeah. I just. I don't, do you think I'm capable of running the DEO like J'onn?"

"Alex, why are you even asking me that question? Everyone looks up to you," I say. "I do too," I smile. 

"Thanks, sis," she says. 

"It's so different without Winn," I say. "Nobody left to crack jokes and make Star Wars references," I laugh. 

"I think we'll get enough of those from you," she says with a cheeky grin. 

"I just wish things could go back to the way it was," I sigh. 

"Well, at least Brainy is keeping tabs in the DEO," she says. 

"Yeah. Did you notice that he never sleeps?" I question with a laugh. 

"Now that you mention it," she smiles. 

Kara bites her lip before turning to Alex. "There's something I never told you," I say. 

"What do you mean?"

"When everything was happening in the fortress. Fighting Reign. There's something I've been keeping from everyone," I say. 

"Okay," she looks at me with uncertainty. 

"Everything was happening and Sam showed up. She stabbed Reign from behind and I threw her into the fire. She kept emerging, her laser vision was going out of control and it hit... my mom, then it hit Mon-El," I choke. 

"What are you talking about, Kara?"

"Mon-El died saving J'onn. I didn't know what to do, I wasn't thinking straight. But I did what I thought was right. I asked you and Winn to create a disruption and took Mon-El's Legion ring. I flew back in time to the moment before Sam stabbed Reign."

"Kara," she says. 

"Mon-El and my mom died right in front of me and I couldn't do anything about it." I cry. "I couldn't do anything to prevent it, I couldn't do anything to stop it," I continue. 

"But you did, Kara. Mon-El is fine and so is your mom," she comforts me. 

"The thing is, I couldn't tell Mon-El what I did. He said that he had to get back to the future and I don't want to be selfish. I still love him and I always will. I just wish I could tell him what I did, but I can't. It will only make him feel guilty for leaving," I say while the tears continue to roll down my cheeks. 

Start Date: 18 June 2018