thirty eight.

"10, 9, 8," everyone around us yelled.

My arm around Sabrina's shoulder, I joined in the countdown. We watched in awe as the Harbour Bridge fireworks went off, lighting the sky in a myriad of colours.

She quickly got bored and went off to find a guy to be her 'midnight kiss' while I stayed and remembered where I had been a year ago.

I reflected back to where I had stood on the balcony with Simon, who I had just met, watching the fireworks over London.

I quickly pulled out my phone, snapping a photo of myself with the fireworks and sending it to Simon. Although it was only 1 in the afternoon for him, he replied instantly wishing me a Happy New Year.

It had only been a week since I left and I was already finding it difficult to be apart from him. Simon, wanting to see Sydney's fireworks, face timed me. I leaned on the balcony railing, chatting away to him while I heard the music start up again behind me.

Sabrina came outside, briefly greeting Simon before demanding I follow her inside to enjoy the party.

I wished him Happy New Year and then hung up, following Sabrina into the apartment.

With the rest of our group of friends, we took photos with the helium '2018' balloons and drunk as we danced to the music celebrating the new year.

As I rested my feet, finding a couch to relax on, I scrolled through the photos we had just taken, picking one and editing it slightly, posting it straight to Instagram.

I felt ready to head back to the dance floor, and located Sabrina, taking her hand and twirling underneath it.

Feeling a pair of hands rest on my waist from behind, I turned around quickly, only to see Sean. "What are you doing?", I asked in shock, my words slightly slurring to reveal how much I had drunk.

"Loosen up a little, let's just have some fun," he smirked as he moved closer, only for me to step back.

"Stop, I have a boyfriend," I pressed a hand against his chest to prevent him from getting any closer.

"Sean," Sabrina warned from behind me. "Leave her alone," she said, stepping forward to place herself between Sean and I.

He looked over to me and back to Sabrina before backing away and soon finding another girl, quickly locking lips with her, completely forgetting about me.

The crowd started to die down as Sabrina and I decided to head out too. We caught a taxi to the hotel we had booked for the weekend, and walked barefoot to the elevators which took us to our floor.

I collapsed on the side of the bed we had previously assigned as mine, and fell asleep, still dressed in the short skirt and cropped, singlet top I had worn.

When I woke up several hours later with a slight headache, I suddenly became aware of the repeated vibrations that were being sent through my body because of my phone.

I saw several missed calls from Simon as well as 7 messages, and unlocked my phone quickly.

1/1/18 5:37am
Is Sean at the party?
Is he bothering you?
Are you okay?
Hailey???

6:02am
Are you hanging out with him?
what the fuck
Hailey, seriously

As I scrolled through his messages I received a notification from Instagram of people liking my photo.

Struggling to remember what I had posted, I switched apps and saw the photo I vividly remembered taking, with the helium balloons.

I analysed the photo where 9 of us stood and knelt down in front of the balloons. I spotted Sean squatting in the corner, and zooming in, noticed he was looking across to me.

I realised why Simon must have been confused and went to call him, moving to the bathroom so as not to disturb Sabrina.

"Hailey?", he answered.

"Hey babe, I just woke up, sorry I didn't see your messages from before," I apologised, rubbing my forehead.

"I was just worried," I saw him shrug, "I thought maybe you and him..", he let me assume what he was going to say.

"Simon," I started, "you know I wouldn't, do you really trust me that little?", I asked offended.

"No, it's him I don't trust. Like if you got drunk and he tried something, I don't know," he rambled on.

"Trust me, Sabrina kept him well away from me," I assured him.

"So he was trying something?", he asked, worried.

"He didn't succeed," I replied. "Can you stop worrying, seriously, I talked to him for like 10 seconds and that was just to tell him I had a boyfriend," I smiled, watching his frown relax into a smile which mirrored mine.

"Okay okay."

"Shouldn't you be at your own party?", I asked, referring to the party the boys were throwing in their own house.

"Yeah, probably, I can just talk to you though if you want me to stay," he suggested, as if he were looking for an excuse to not go downstairs.

"Babe, go enjoy the New Year. It is possible to enjoy yourself and as much as I would enjoy talking to you, I want you to have fun too. So go, drink," I suggested.

He gave me a doubting expression, referring to the last incident that had happened when he had been drunk without me around.

"Simon, I trust you, go," I said. "I'll hang up either way, so you may as well just go downstairs right now."

Giving in, he said goodbye and waved, ending the call to join his party.