The forest

I'm running late and I know if I don't run out the door in two minutes chances are I am going to miss Slade's show all together.

It's not in town and I am going to have to drive clear into another just to get to the bar that sells flat beer and stale peanuts. But I am willing to do it because it's a gig and right now they need one.

I pull the door shut and hurry down the steps phone in hand, texting and walking to my mom's car. She agreed to loan me her old one while I'm home and for as long as I want.

I open my door and climb in the red firebird and shut the door. I text Slade I am on my way and not to start without me.

He texts back and swears he will do his best to make my wishes come true and I smile and throw my phone on the spot beside me.

I back out of the driveway and start down the road and groan when the car dings and informs me I will not be on my way at all if I do not fill up my gas tank. I rifle through my purse taking my eyes off the road for short moments to find some kind of cash.

When I look up I swerve almost hitting the car parked on the side of the road.

"Shit!" I veer back onto the road and straighten my wheel, taking in a couple of breaths to try and calm my thrashing heart.

My body bounces over and over again, making me wonder if the road is full of potholes or if I just did something really stupid like flatten my tire.

I pull into the gas station and jump out. The guy filling up gives a nod and eyes my tire. "Looks like you did a number on that tire."

Shit. I circle around the car stopping at my handy work. God I am so stupid. All I needed to do was make it to Slade's gig and I couldn't even do that.

A big black truck rumbles and growls pulling up behind me. Some kind of country music flutters out into the gas station parking lot and then the engine cuts off.

I know if I don't do something I am going to miss the entire show. I look at the guy filling his car, he's almost done and concentrating on his custom decals while he waits on the pump.

I can't see anyone noticing if I use a little magic. I crouch down and rub my hands together. I run a hand along the tire, forcing all my energy into the rubber. The rubber mends itself and it's as good as new.

I celebrate and stand back up, bumping into something. A person, and whoever is behind me is rather solid and warm.

"That's funny I could have sworn you rolled in here on a flat," Charlie says, one hand on my car the other in his pocket.

I swallow, studying the black truck behind him. He's not alone. He has two buddies with him, making me feel like a complete idiot for doing what I did.

"Excuse me," I say moving around him to get to the pump. I don't have to give him an answer. He's just some stupid guy not the police. I grab the nozzle and work on getting it into the car hoping Charlie will go away.

"I should probably apologize for last night," he says, stepping closer. "A lot of people tell me I'm an ass when I drink."

"I know exactly what kind of ass you are," I inform him.

"And what kind is that?" He grins, stroking the stubble on his jaw. His green eyes twinkle with amusement.

"You like to be in control. And when you're not the one running things it pisses you off." I pull the trigger and listen to the sweet sound of my money flying out the window.