Numb

My mom wipes down the table moving around my plate and Griffin's. Somehow I managed to eat half of a sandwich and take a shower.

"Griffin, drink your milk," she tells my little brother. "Has anyone got a hold of Nona?"

Karsen shakes her head. "I've been calling for hours."

I sigh. "Maybe Nona is on vacation. Her and Claude were planning a vacation." I pick at the other half of my sandwich.

Griffin looks at me. "Can I have your sandwich?"

I shrug and slide the plate to him. "Eat it."

My mom paces the floor. She doesn't know what to do. Part of me is relieved Nona isn't answering because I know if Nona finds out Dad is dead she is going to fall apart.

I rub at my eyes, my stupid brain reminds me again he is dead and this time I am having a hard time with it. I just saw him, it doesn't make sense.

"Why aren't you sad?" Griffin asks me.

"Griff," my mom says, she drops down in front of him. "You can't say those things to people."

He looks at me and makes a weird face. "I know why I'm not sad. He never came back to see me anymore. But Hope moved with him. She should be sad."

Maybe he is right. But I can't make a single tear appear.

Griffin gets up and leaves the room. My mom takes his spot. "I hope he didn't upset you."

"Nothing is upsetting me and I am finding it really freaking weird, Mom." I rub my forehead. "Is there something wrong with me?" I can see the tears in her eyes, her eyes work.

"This is grief." She looks away from me.

"Then why don't I feel it?"

Karsen touches my hand. "Because you're in shock."

Maybe I am. I am also the one who shot him. And I am the one who let him go instead of holding on again.

"I can't believe someone would do such a thing." She sighs. "Was it a bar fight?"

Karsen shrugs when she looks her way.

"It had nothing to do with him. There was some stupid brawl in the back of the bar." Kidd takes a seat next to Karsen.

I don't say anything I let him fill her in on the details.

"What were you two doing there?" My mom chews at her lip.

"I wanted to fix things. But he was drunk like he always is and he didn't want to hear it." I say.

"So we left." Kidd sits forward. "And people start screaming and the next thing you know we hear gunshots and go back in."

My mom nods, and she stands up. "That's what happened."

I look at Kidd, he looks satisfied and a bit exhausted forcing these thoughts on everyone around us. It's a useful thing he can do.

I jump up, running to the door when I hear footsteps on the porch. I throw open the door and my relief is immediate, it courses through my soul.

"I'm so happy you're here." I jump into his arms and I can feel again. I feel his arms around me. I hold on tight.

"I'm sorry I left. Are you okay?"

"I don't know." I squeeze him tighter. "I can't feel anything but you."

Slade kisses me on the cheek and sets me on my feet. "I have something to tell you."

I search his eyes, shaking my head confused. I am the one that is supposed to be handing out the news.