Jumper

Hutch's fist slam down on my car, and I jump. I fight with the stick shift trying to get it into drive but it's not happening. I can't get it to go anywhere.

He rounds the car. I hit the lock, and try the stick shift again. It still isn't working.

He taps on the glass. "The car is not going anywhere. You might as well give up now."

I sigh, I don't know what to do.

I look at him, I hate the way he is gritting his teeth and glaring at me. He rifles into the pocket of his jeans and pulls out a paper. He unfolds it and slams it against the window making me jump out of my skin.

"Do you see this?"

I tilt my head reading over the wanted poster of Hutch. The same one Slade mentioned only a few minutes earlier.

I don't know what he wants me to say. So I don't say anything.

He pounds on my window. "Get out of the car."

I grip the steering wheel trying to make the car move.

"Get out of the car before you make me angrier than I already am."

"How did you find me?"

Another slam of his fist against my window. And when I don't give in he forces the door open yanking me out of the car.

I jerk my arm free. "Get off of me."

"I have every right to put my hands on you." He shoves me to the other side of my car. "Do you have any idea what you have done?"

He opens the door and pushes me. "Get in."

I do what he wants and climb into the passenger side. "I saved my father's life."

Hutch adjusts my seat trying to make room for his long legs. His body barely fits in my tiny car.

"And ruined mine in the meantime."

I buckle my seatbelt. "You ruined your own life. If you would just leave us alone there would be nothing to complain about. But no, once again you're here trying to do god knows what."

He throws my car in reverse and floors it, I almost fall in his lap. "Asshole! You're going to get us killed."

"Wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to you right now."

I'm not sure what he means but I do know Slade said his face is plastered all over Cherry. I'm pretty sure it has to do with his foul mood and traveling so far away to find me.

He takes a right passing the old mechanic shop my dad worked at. It reminds me of the other crisis I just went through. And he pulls in and comes to a stop.

"What are we doing?" I look around. He gets out of the car.

"There are a few things I need." He slaps a hand down on the top of the car. "Get out."

I do what he says, dropping my feet, I'm really thankful to be here. Hutch's hand meets my lower back and he pushes me to the door.

I go through the door igniting the little bell. The man working on one of the cars lifts his head. "What can I help you with?"

Hutch looks around. "I'm looking for a few things."

He rounds the counter, wiping his greasy hands on his overalls. "Are you having car troubles?"

Hutch shakes his head. "Look. I know this is a bit odd, but I need jumper cables. A lot of them."

"Look we're not an auto parts store. We are an auto repair—"