Added bonus

"Whatever it is say it," I tell him. "It can't be that bad."

He sighs, and I see every muscle rise and fall. He's really nervous.

"Come sit down with me," he sits down on the porch swing and waits for me to do the same.

"Slade, you're starting to freak me out. Just tell me whatever it is." I sigh, a hand in my hair the other clutching my stomach. "My dad is dead. How much worse can it get?"

He avoids my eyes, rubbing at his nose. "Nona passed away."

"What?" I stagger backward at his words. "What are you talking about?"

He stands up and I move away from him shaking my head. "Just what I said. Nona passed away."

"How would you know she passed away?" I huff, crossing my arms. He has to be mistaken.

"Because I was there, I saw Claude. I saw the whole thing."

"What whole thing?"

Slade stares at the ground. "There were cops all over the place. Detectives, you name it they were there."

"Slade. This isn't funny." I pull away from him. "Why would you say she is dead?"

"Claude was on a business trip. He came home and found her." He keeps right on talking. "And believe me I didn't want to be the one to tell you. But when I saw this I knew I needed to tell you."

I turn my head, he has his phone in his hand. And he pushes it toward me. I take it. And I force myself to look.

I push his hand away.

"I knew as soon I saw it who did it."

I drop to the ground wrapping my arms around my legs. "The only person who calls me doll is..."

"Hutch."

I dig my nails into my skin. "He told me if I did this he would leave all of us alone."

"He told you what he wanted you to believe. Claude told me Nona was killed days ago." He doesn't explain anymore and he doesn't have to.

Hutch got ahold of Nona before he came to find me.

I look away dropping my hands to my sides. "Well. At least I don't have to tell her Dad is dead."

Slade grabs me. "Hope."

I raise an eyebrow. "What am I supposed to say? What am I supposed to do? Things aren't getting better. I'm not even surprised anymore. Maybe this is what life is now."

Slade shakes his head. "It's not. I don't want you thinking your life is ruined or over."

"Are you sure?" Ever since Hutch came into the picture and taught me the ways of magic my life has plunged even faster.

A part of me is relieved they are gone because they are no longer in danger. Hutch and the world can't hurt me through them anymore.

"I don't know what I am supposed to feel." I move in and hold on to Slade. "I feel bad for not being upset. But I don't know how to feel."

He kisses my forehead. "Maybe you not being upset is a good thing."