A Soft Blush

20,000 Years ago

Bai Qian raced towards Bai Zhen with her her energy probing him as she ran.  Thankful she could not feel any anger, he soon came into view, but it looked to her as if he was merely enjoying the lovely scenery rather that searching for a lost sister.  Smiling at her and looking rather pleased with himself,  she was just too happy to really care about what mischief he thought he got himself into, because it was looking to her as if he had purposely left her alone with his friends.

In all, that had been about three hours ago, but the light bounce in her step, the soft blush on her cheeks and the stupid smile on her face, told Bai Zhen she had not found her way to the Lotus Pond for a mere stroll.

"You're looking much happier,  I take it you had company?' he asked as he also noticed the soft tone of her aura, which suggested she had.  It exuded warmth and to his keen eye, the lingering aura of another.

Nodding her head softly, she  turned her head to look back.  "Did you know there are mandarin ducks in the pond Zhen Zhen?  I haven't seen one since I was little, I forgot how lovely they are." she said as he took her arm to lead her home.  Though the small smirk told him she was not going to share what she had been up to, or with whom.

Chuckling softly as he looked sideways at her, he also noticed the soft glaze in her eyes.  "So it was just mandarin ducks that put that goofy look on your face?" he asked fishing for information.

Knowing he would hound her until she gave him something, she slowly shook her head, but unable to keep the blush from spreading across her face, Bai Zhens chuckle deepened.

"Lets just say, I made a new friend today." she said smiling up at him, and for Bai Zhen, it was more than enough, though his thoughts had been on who it might have been, because no sooner had she disappeared from sight, he quickly took note of who out of his friends, were left in the Grand Hall.  Seeing they were all there, he was now wondering who it was she had met.  But that she had met someone and seemed very happy with the meeting, he felt very pleased with himself.  That he had actually achieved something not even his parents or Zhe Yan had been able to, was one more thing he could hold over him.  And even if it came to nothing, at least she was getting a taste of what life had to offer, and the way she had suddenly moved back to follow behind him, said she wanted to be alone with her thoughts.

And she did want to be alone with her thoughts.  Letting her mind linger on their conversation,  she began to notice things that she had not noticed during their time together.  And one of those things, was why he was at the Lotus Pond to begin with, when his party was some distance away.  Had he been following her? She wondered to herself now that she had the time to delve a little deeper.

If he followed me, then had he seen us sneak in? she asked herself suddenly blushing all over again.

And that had her wondering if he had also seen her sneak out.  'Well of course he did dummy!' she chided herself.  No doubt he followed to make sure she didn't end up in yet another chamber looking all suspicious before spilling her mouth to yet another stranger. she thought as the blush deepened.

It had been thousands of years since their first meeting, but back then he seemed so much different.  He had been more fatherly and understanding of the predicament she had found herself in.  He had advised her exactly the same way her Water Sprite would have, kindly and wisely.  

This time there was a definite difference to the way he spoke to her.  There was also something very intimate in the way he held her hand, and even in the tone of his voice.  But more telling that he was perhaps interested in her was the softness in his eyes.