05 | THE LUNCH TABLE

It was lunchtime, the first half of third period

It was lunchtime, the first half of third period. Peter and Ned were in their usual spot, with MJ a few seats away. Peter had his lunch spread out in front of him, untouched.

"Did you know Juno was coming?" Ned asked.

"Nope."

"Does she know where we are?"

"She said she's in the lunch line. I'll text her where our table is."

junkie
lunch line ill find you in ten

pet
okay neat

pet
we're in the back of the cafeteria in a long rectangular table not a circular one

pet
its across the big clock

pet
where liz is hanging a homecoming poster

junkie
neat

"I texted her."

Ned continued eating his lunch while working on algebra homework. Peter put his head on his hand. He stared at Liz who stood on a ladder. She leaned over to hang up a poster. Peter felt himself drool.

"Did Liz get a new top?" He asked.

Without looking up, Ned replied, "No. We've seen that before, but never with that skirt."

"We should probably stop staring before it gets creepy," Peter sighed.

"Too late."

The two looked over at MJ who had her nose in a book.

"You guys are losers," she said nonchalantly.

"Well, then why do you sit with us?" Ned asked.

"Because I don't have any friends." She looked up at the two of them and made a face. Her two statements were juxtaposing.

"Then make some," Peter said.

Juno set her stuff on the table, blocking Peter's view of Liz. He snapped out of his trance. MJ, Ned, and Peter looked up at her. Juno sat down.

"Public school food is weird," she shriveled.

"Careful," MJ warned. "There might be a roach in the food or something."

"Michelle!" Juno smiled.

"MJ," the girl replied. "We're in school." She moved and sat next to Juno.

"So why'd you transfer?" Ned asked.

"I cannot stand people in Manhattan. They're toxic!"

"Do you want my apple? It's probably better than the cafeteria food." Peter held up an apple.

Juno took it, rubbed it on her dress, then took a bite out of it. "Thanks," she said with a full mouth.  She looked around the cafeteria. "Why are people staring at us?"

"They're not staring at us," Ned said. "They're staring at you." He put his homework away.

"Morons at this school keep up with Upper East Side gossip," MJ said. She was reading again. "They expect it to be like Gossip Girl or something. Pathetic, really."

Peter pushed his whole lunch in front of Juno. "I'm not hungry."

She gave him a look. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah," he nodded. "I'll buy food before going to the Stark Internship later."

"Hey Juno," Ned smiled. "Wanna help build the LEGO Death Star later since Peter has his internship?"

"Sure," she smiled. "Why not."

"What about you, Michelle?" Ned asked.

"You know the answer to that."

The bell rang, and the four went back to their separate classss.

SPIDERMAN FAR FROM HOME! POTENTIAL SEQUEL FOR THIS BOOK?