Broken, Yet Better

The alarm woke us around 4:45. Dj didn't wake up until six though. I had to wake up early for all the things I have to do before school.

I showered, and dried off. I brushed my hair and quickly put some oils in my hair, before it frizzes.

I look through my clothes, I haven't had time to unpack.

My wounds still hurt, so I can't wear something tight.

Aah, Dj's joggers.

I grab a pair of his joggers, the black ones with gold splatter paint look on them. Then I grab his shirt, the one that's black with gold numbers, 30. Stephen Curry's number.

I put on just some natural make up. Just foundation, mascara and a bit of blush.

Dj finally wakes up.

"Who said you can take my clothes?" He chuckles.

I smirk, "hmm, I did."

He tackles me on the bed.

"Oww, mm. No, don't do that" I said.

He jumped up quickly.

"Oh, I'm so sorry car."

I sit up slowly, "it's okay, don't stress about it."

He smiles and gently hugs me.

Dj wants me to drive him to school.

And so I do.

I walk into the school, and eyed are watching me.

Luis walks in maybe ten minutes after, and people seem to get closer to me.

The bell rings.

Psychology.

I walk in with Dj, and Alexa has shown up for school.

She smiles at me and Dj.

"Okay class, for today's lesson we will learn how the mind works of a child. Grab your books..."

I trail off to watch the gym class walking out to the football field.

An hour and thirty minutes must have gone by because the bell just rung.

Please don't let Luis be in trig. Please.

I walk into Trigonometry, and there he is. Sitting, and smirking. He's not stupid enough to come close to me though.

"Ms. Brooks, you have a new assigned seat due to the circumstances of Luis."

The class glares at Luis, and his face falls.

I was placed next to the door.

The school day went on, and I had to stay after for my basketball tryouts.

Dj, Alexa, and Joseph support me.

"Carson Brooks, you're already on the list, but just to say you tried out, run, pass to Lexi, then she'll pass it back to you and do a layup."

I do exactly what he wants me to do, even though it hurt like hell.

"Great job, we will come to your games, for sure!" Joseph says.

Alexa looks at me, she looks a little sad.

I pull her to the side.

"Are you ok, Alexa?"

Alexa corners her eyes to the floor, "He's going off to college after this year, and I don't know how I'll raise this kid on my own."

I hug her, "it will all turn out sooner or later, I promise."

She smiles, and hugs me tighter.

We walk out, and Mr.Carter is at the office of the school.

"Dad?" Dj asks.

Mr. Carter turns around, "great, you both are here. Hi alexa, and Joseph right?"

Joseph nods, "yes sir."

Mr. Carter turns to talk to the guidance counselor, Mrs. Reeds.

He turns to us, "come here, Carson and Dj."

We walk to Mr. Carter and he looks happier than usual.

"Alright, here's the deal. Luis, has actually been back and forth to the school board, and him being arrested was his last offense, he's expelled."

Dj smiles, "you'll be safe at school, Carson!"

I smile then think,

Only at school and your house.

We walk back to Joseph and Alexa.

"So I was thinking us guys, can take these girls out for a nice date." Joseph had asked.

Dj and Joseph work at the same place, the place we call the Diner.

"Yes, that would be nice. Where would you ladies like to go, then we'll go bowling after we eat?" Dj asks.

Alexa is the first to say where she wants to eat, and of course I'll agree with her because she's pregnant.

"Let's go to the Chinese buffet. I've really been wanting some Chinese food." She shyly says.

"Ok, Chinese it is." Joseph says.

Everything seems to be going okay, until Dj gets a call from his ex, Shay.

I can hear him talking to her.

He's telling her that he's sorry for messing things up, and that he understands they both moved on...but he wished things never ended.

Is he not happy with me?

Joseph looks at me, "Carson, I know you heard that. Are you ok?"

I blink away my tears, "I'm okay, umm do you mind taking Dj home. I don't feel so well."

I had already ate two plates of food.

Alexa nods, "we'll take Dj home. Where are you going?"

I gulp, I have no clue, but I'm going.

I shrug my shoulders and walk out to my car.

I drive for miles, and miles.

I end up in a whole different town.

What am I doing with myself?