Chapter 1: Letters

"This is the latest on this breaking news, we will keep you updated as we gain more information." I rubbed my eye stepping down the hallway into the living room. "Dylan..." I saw him sitting on the couch quickly turning the tv off. "Serah what are you doing up?" I sigh yawning. "The tv woke me. Where are mom and dad?" He huffs scratching his head before looking back at the tv.

"They went away for a little bit kiddo but don't worry I'm sure they will be back in no time. Let's get you back to sleep." I look up at my 18 year old brother who has a smile on his face. "Okay Dylan." He walks me back to bed tucking me in. "Kiddo don't worry about mom and dad I'm gonna be here the whole time they aren't okay." I nod as he tussles my hair and I doze off.

Five Years Later

"Serah!" I jump up from my sleep. "What?" I whisper to myself. Dylan half knocks before barging in. "Wake up I've got some errands to run." I can tell he's on edge so I raise an eyebrow. "Dylan what's wrong?" He sighs. "Nothing Serah." I huff. "Don't lie to me." He scratches his head. "It's just the usual sis. Promise while I'm gone you'll keep low. You know they hate us enough already." I frown. "Yeah I promise. Where are you going anyway?"

He smiles widely. "I've got something laid out for us that could be really good." I sigh. "You know you shouldn't get your hopes up." He sighs. "Yeah but this could be our chance to just let this all go Serah." I raise an eyebrow. "Then you really shouldn't be getting your hopes up." He gives me a toothy grin. "You'll understand once it's final. I've got to go but remember what I said." I nod watching him disappear.

I huff getting up heading downstairs after he left to find the stack of mail he must have forgotten to put away because right on top was a letter to me. I examine the letter realizing that it's from my mom. I quickly rip open the letter pulling the note from inside it.

Dear Serah,

Hi, my sweet child, I'm not even sure if your getting this. I'm sure your brother has kept them from you. I hope you receive this letter. I'm sorry for the pain and suffering that me and your father put you both through. It wasn't fair to either of you. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive us. We'd love to see the both of you or at least hear from you. Wow how I'm sure you've grown. Your father sends his love as well I'm sure.

Love Mom

I huff to myself crumbling the paper throwing it in the trash. Maybe Dylan did keep the letters from me. Probably because he knew I was naive enough to believe them but now I've seen the extent of what they've done and I've seen how there careless actions have ripped my life to shreds. Dylan's and mine. I don't want her sympathy because if she were free she wouldn't be sorry. I sort through the other mail before making some cereal and taking a seat on the couch.

I flip through the channels of the tv stopping on one of my favorite shows before turning to look back at the trash can I just through my mom's letter into before shaking my head. "What kind of prison lets a person like that send mail in the first place?" I whisper softly to myself before turning back to focus on the tv.

Enjoy! ❤️😘