Chapter 3

"So, how did your meeting go today? Did you get your contract signed?" Lucy casually asked as she walked up to the ornate newel post of the grand staircase. "Why do people do this?" she complained as she tried to scrape away some of the loose white paint that covered the original wood. "They ruin the wood and the history."

"It's all about taste Lucy, and different people have different tastes. Some people don't appreciate the old patina that this wood gets after generations of use, they want to lighten things up."

"Then they should by a new house, not an old one!" Lucy insisted as she walked into the drawing room, it was stunning, or it had been. Someone had once again painted over all the woodwork on the walls, ceiling, and built-in cabinetry, but thankfully the floor hadn't been touched.

"You'll be happy that it's a full restoration then Lucy, and that Zebadiah Abbott has very deep pockets. I had a verbal confirmation that I am to spare no expense in bringing her back to what she once was," Thomas assured her.

Lucy felt herself get excited at the prospect. "All of the woodwork? You realize that it will take at least six months, maybe a year to do it all?" Almost an entire year that she wouldn't have to worry about money.

"Yes," he agreed, watching her closely.

"I sense there is a 'but' in there Thomas," she said warily.

"The house, I need you to read it and tell me what went wrong last time," Thomas said it in a rush as if it would make it easier to say. At Lucy's passive face he rushed on, afraid that he had insulted her. "I know that I have never asked you to use your gift Lucy, but I need it. There have been two other firms that have worked on this house, and neither one lasted a month. Things happened, unexplainable things that scared the workers away. I want to know what happened, and what I can do so that those things don't happen to me."

"And you think I can tell you that?" Lucy asked. She wasn't insulted, she knew what a job like this would mean for Thomas. It would not only bring him much needed cash flow, but it would also make his name in the business, and with a baby on the way, it would be a relief.

Lucy gave a small smile. "Fine, Thomas, I'll help you, provided I get to do all of the wood restorations in the house, but don't worry, I'll charge a fair price."

"I didn't doubt you would," Thomas grinned, relieved. "You'll have to be on site most of the time, and I think having you here will put a lot of the men at ease."

Lucy snorted. "That's rich, considering if it was anywhere else in this town they wouldn't want me near them." Lucy walked over to the mantle and touched it, running her hand across the scratched-up wood.

Thomas watched her silently as she moved around the house, peeking into all the rooms and walking around the upstairs balcony, looking out over the river.

"There are a few things that you can do that I think might help the job run smoothly." She walked back into the house, closing the door and starting down the stairs. The house hadn't talked to her, even though that was probably what people would think. She had empathized with the old girl, thinking about how she would feel if she were an old lady living in today's world. She was following her heart.

"Number one, the house is not haunted, that's important. She, the house, wouldn't stand for it." Lucy waved her hand around her head. "She's a serious old girl, and she does not appreciate shenanigans unless they're from children." Lucy smiled. "She loves children, which probably is why she let us play here as kids."

Thomas smiled and shook his head. "You're talking about her as if she was real."

"She is, very real." Lucy looked at him without a trace of humor. "You won't succeed if you don't take this seriously."

He held up his hands in surrender. "You're the boss!"

"Number two, old-school, she doesn't like the sound of power or pneumatic tools, keep those away from the house, build as much offsite as you can and bring it in and install it with old-school tools, those she recognizes and appreciates."

Thomas groaned. "Do you know how much time we'll lose!"

"If you want to finish, this is what you'll have to do. Number three, everyone needs to park outside of the wall or in the back. She is very into appearances, and she doesn't want port-o-lets and cars littering up her yard, keep a clean site."

Thomas grumbled under his breath, and Lucy realized she was enjoying herself. She was glad to speak on behalf of the house, even though she honestly didn't know if she was making it up as she went or not. That was how her gift worked. It was often just a vision or feeling that led her.

"Number four, no cursing, catcalling, or other lewd behavior. You have to behave as if she was your grandmother with a sensitive head." Lucy squeezed Thomas's arm.

"Do you know how impossible that's going to be with my crew?"

"Just let everyone know that I told you that this is how it has to be, and if they don't follow the rules they won't have jobs because the house will kick them out." Lucy knew that everyone already thought she was a witch or something similar, so they would probably believe everything that she said.

Thomas nodded, leading the way out the front door, closing it behind him.

"Thomas, do you know how wonderful this project will be?" She reached out and touched his arm once more, looking at her hand as it rested against his red jacket, and just as she had in the café that morning, she saw his future clear as day, this was her God-given gift. She could see the moment a person made a decision that changed their future, whether it was for better or worse, and right now, for Thomas, it was for the better.

She saw his business grow, the house finished, his wife happy, and a boat. She smiled at the last bit; he had always wanted a boat.

"What do you see Lucy?" he asked nervously, knowing she had a vision, recognizing the signs.

"I see a boat, a big boat if you say yes to the job. It will be hard, but you'll succeed."

"As long as I do as you say," he teased.

"Yep!" She laughed as she walked down the steps towards her car. "Let me know when we start." She walked a few steps before she stopped and turned to look at him. "What's the name of the man who purchased the house again?" She had a sudden urgency to hear the name once more.

"Zebadiah Abbott, he's out of New Orleans, I told you this morning, remember?" Thomas called before climbing into his truck.

Lucy paused, it wasn't a name that she recalled having heard before, but there was something familiar about it. "Zebadiah, Zeb," she said the name softly, and a shiver chased its way up her spine at the intimate sound of it on her lips. "Zeb," Lucy repeated it and felt her breath catch, and her cheeks burn, that had never happened before. "Abbott," she said the name for a change, but there was nothing with it.

Lucy waved to Thomas as she climbed into her car and started the engine, and when she got halfway down the road, she repeated it once more. "Zeb."

She slammed on her breaks, her face heating up again as she heard her name laughingly called by an unrecognizable male voice, and it felt as if someone had wrapped a warm blanket around her.

Shaking, she let up off the brake and drove slowly the rest of the way home, wondering who Zebadiah Abbott was and why his name had such a strong effect on her.