ONE

CHAPTER ONE
The Beginning of the End

          A TRUCK RACED through the Scorch, interrupting the silence that had once settled upon desert. The vehicle drove in a rush, the passengers inside jumping every time they hit a bump. It was the only thing that seemed to be alive in the midst of the sand, emitting more sound in a few seconds than the environment had witnessed in years.

Another truck sat quietly in the midst of the sand, the two people inside it waiting for their cue. A small gust of wind struck, lifting the small particles of sand off the floor and against the windows of the vehicle. A frustrated sigh left the lips of the driver as he rubbed his face.

Jorge opened his pocket watch and glared grimly at it. "They're late."

Brenda stared at her own watch tied around her wrist, shrugging slightly. The sound of a train horn caught their attention and the girl smiled smugly. She then lifted up her gun and loaded it as Jorge started the engine while also using his other hand to put up their defences.

The two exchanged a small glance before the man drove off, driving beside the WCKD train. He pressed his foot harder on the gas pedal, speeding up to the front where the two locked eyes with the train drivers.

Not far behind was Vince and Thomas who sped up behind the train. "Brenda!" The teenage boy called into the walkie talkie. "We're coming up behind! Keep 'em busy!"

Brenda stood up in the car, her torso above the sun roof as she aimed her gun at the WCKD train drivers. Taking one shot through the window, Brenda instantly dropped back down in her seat as Jorge laughed maniacally.

Meanwhile, Vince drove behind the train, the tyres of the truck squeaking against the metal tracks. The man turned to look at boy who sat next to him. "This is crazy, Thomas!"

WCKD soldiers had now filed out of the train, shooting at Brenda and Jorge, who ducked their heads down in the pick up truck.

"Whoa!" Jorge exclaimed, driving further to the right as he peeked through the gap between the metal pieces he had stuck on to the truck and began to shoot the soldiers.

Thomas climbed out of the truck and stood on the hood, holding a gravelling hook. "Get me closer!" Vince immediately complied as Thomas managed to hook the metal on to the train before he jumped on to the vehicle. The boy turned back to the man, gesturing for him to follow. "Come on, Vince!" Vince instantly got out of the car and stood on the hood, but one of the tyres gave out, sending the car into an uneven surface beneath the man's feet. Thomas' eyes widened. "Vince! Jump!"

Taking one leap off the hood, Vince managed to grab on to one of the bars on the train, his feet dangling on the ground. He pulled himself up, abruptly turning around to the truck to see it flipping forward.

"Shit!" Vince cried out before his gaze snapped to the sky to see a Berg, his mouth parting in panic.

"Let's go!" Thomas spoke hastily.

"Hey! Berg!"

Thomas eyes widened as he saw guns emerge from the flying vehicle before he lifted the walkie talkie up to his mouth. "Brenda! You've got company!"

"Go! Go!" Brenda wailed at Jorge, who sped up.

The Berg then began to fire at pick up truck, while Jorge drove in zig zags in attempt to avoid being shot at. "Holy shit!"