TWO

CHAPTER TWO
Unexpected

           THE HANGAR DROPPED open and Mae jumped off the Berg, her lips stretched in a small smirk. She walked on to the hard ground of the Scorch, her shoes crunching against the sand.

Newt and Thomas stood by the carriage, the former holding a blow torch, ready to open it as his protective goggles hung from his neck. Mae smiled at the Gladers before glancing around their camp that would now be shared with the kids inside the carriage.

Their new camp was located by the sea, characterised by a dock and a large ship that was under repairs to take them to the Safe Haven. Small buildings were aligned by the coast, enough to provide shelter for the Right Arm.

"You guys okay?" Thomas asked.

Frypan grinned in response. "We're great."

Thomas looked to Newt and gestured to the carriage. "Let's go."

Newt nodded before pulling the goggles over his eyes, ready to cut the lock off the carriage. He bent down and in a few seconds he had cut the lock and he instantly put the torch down, anxious to see Minho.

Thomas and Newt were the first to burst through the door of the carriage, Mae and Harriet in pursuit. Mae's eyes widened once she saw kids sat quietly, being chained to the top of the roof, their faces devoid of emotion.

"Aris!" Thomas said, immediately catching Mae's attention to see the Glader had gone over to the skinny boy in the second row, his hand on his shoulder.

Mae's mouth parted as she grinned, seeing both Aris and Sonya sat next to each other, but it immediately disappeared once she took in their appearances– beaten down.

Thomas' eyes flickered between the two Group B members. "Are you guys okay?"

The two nodded rapidly, Sonya leaning forward slightly. "We're fine."

Nodding, Thomas walked away from the two, glancing back at Mae and Harriet, who stood in astonishment, not knowing what to do. The leader made the first move as she immediately rushed to the two, bringing them into her arms. "Oh my God!"

Mae then turned around, holding her hand out to Carrie who stood outside. "Carrie, pass me the bolt cutters please."

Carrie nodded, bending down to grab the cutters. "Here."

"Thanks, Carrie."

Harriet then pulled away and knelt in front of Sonya, her hands lying on the blonde's collarbone. Mae watched as the two best friends caught up, their eyes watering and she smiled.

Mae then knelt down in front of Aris, cutting his handcuffs before passing the tool to Harriet. Turning back to Aris, Mae smiled gently at him, her hands resting gently on the sides of his head, scanning his face to see him unusually pale, even for him. He had a black eye with cuts on his forehead, cheek and lip. The girl swallowed. "Oh Aris, what did they do to you?"

"Mae?" Aris croaked, his eyes welling with tears once he realised who was in front of him. "Are you really here?"

Smiling, Mae nodded. "Yeah, buddy, I am."