SIX

CHAPTER SIX
Surprises

NEWT OPENED THE truck door and helped Mae out the vehicle, who shot him a smile as she lifted her hand up and ruffled his hair. "Thanks."

The boy just grinned widely down at her. "You're welcome."

"Wait here," Thomas advised. "We'll be right back."

And before Newt and Mae could protest, both Brenda and Thomas had turned around and walked away from the truck, leaving Newt and Mae by the truck while Frypan, Jorge and Martin spoke between themselves.

"Do you think something's going on between them?" Mae wondered with a sly smile as she jerked her head towards Thomas and Brenda.

Newt laughed. "I don't know, M. I think he still might be hung up on Teresa."

Mae clenched her jaw. "I don't see how."

The boy then turned to her. "How are you feelin'?"

"I'm alright," Mae replied as her eyebrows knitted together in confusion. "Why?"

"I just worry about ya." Newt shrugged.

Mae let out a quiet chuckle as she raised an eyebrow in amusement. "You shouldn't and anyway I should be asking you that question, it looks like your arms in pain."

Newt coughed. "Why– why would you think that?"

"You've been rubbing and holding it all day, do you want me to look at it?"

"No!" The blond exclaimed instantly. He then noticed the shock and suspicion in Mae's eyes and he sighed, putting his hand on her neck gently in reassurance. "Hey, I'm fine. I swear."

"Hey, Romeo and Juliet! Wrap it up!" The voice of Brenda smirked and Mae rolled her eyes. "Let's go!"

The group had driven down to the abandoned city outside of the tall wall in attempt to find a way in without WCKD noticing, but they were still tagged. Mae licked her lips as they walked towards the wall and through the city to see chaos and crowds. "What the hell is going on?" Someone then rammed into Mae from behind her and didn't bother apologising before they continued walking. The girl scoffed. "Hey, watch it, asshole!"

Mae glanced around to see people screaming back and forth, pushing past everyone with looks of anger and disgust and she furrowed her eyebrows as she picked up her pace in anticipation. The girl had been shoved into people so many times that she had given up at yelling insults at them and instead opted for shoving people back harder.

"This place has already gone through hell." Mae heard Jorge tell Thomas.

"We just gotta stay together." Thomas replied
immediately in attempt to reassure Jorge.

"We are the voice of the voiceless!" An unfamiliar voice echoed from behind them and the group turned around to see a couple of vans breaking through the crowd with men sitting on top wearing masks while one didn't as he spoke into a speaker. The crowd went wild as they parted a way for them.

"The hell?" Mae mumbled.

"They hide behind their walls, thinking they can keep the cure for themselves, while they watch the rest of us wither and rot!" Mae had grabbed on to Newt's arm, pulling him backwards away from the vehicles as it drove past them. "But there are more of us than there are of them. And I say, we rise up and take back what is ours! Let's bring back a victory!"