SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN
Rose

GALLY LED THE group through the run down building and Mae couldn't help but stare at the people scattered around, half of them were armed and wore protective gear while the other half looked like they'd been through hell and back.

"After the Maze, I got picked up by a group headed to the city." Gally started to explain. "They realised I was immune, patched me up and brought me here to Lawrence. This group's been to war with WCKD ever since they took control of the city."

"And how long has that been?" Martin interrupted.

Gally huffed. "Too long. WCKD can't hide behind those walls forever. Day's gonna come,
and they're gonna pay for what they've done." The boy then stopped and turned around to the group. "Listen, uh, he doesn't get a lot of visitors. So, let me do the talking. All right? And try not to stare."

Mae's eyebrows knitted together as she watched Gally walk away. "Why would we stare?"

"C'mon." Thomas nudged and followed after him, the rest of the group behind him.

Mae walked into a dark room of sorts and the smell of plants and soil instantly filled her nose, giving her a sense of familiarity as her mind immediately thought back to the Patch and it's nature. She looked around to see pots of Roses planted everywhere and she exchanged a confused look with Brenda.

"Well, this is a first." Mae murmured as she looked forward to see two men, one standing by the pots of flowers while the other was tending to them.

"Gally," an unfamiliar voice chirped. "Glad to see you made it back, Jasper told me what happened."

"It was a slaughter." Gally affirmed. "There's nothing we could do against those guns."

"No," Lawrence agreed. "But they can only poke the hornets nest for so long before they get stung."

Mae took a slight step forward to get a better look at the man, who was still hidden in the shadows. The girl managed to see that the man was connected to an IV bag while he brought a rose up to his nose and smelt it.

"Who are these people?" He asked, not even turning to look at them. "Why are they here?"

"We need to get into WCKD." Thomas spoke up as he took a step forward, earning an eye roll from Mae, of course Thomas would completely ignore Gally's one command. "Gally said you can get us through those walls."

The man then looked up at Thomas, but Mae still couldn't see the details of his face before he looked back down, holding his cane. "Well, Gally should know better to make promises that he can't keep. Besides, that wall is only half your problem, getting inside WCKD is impossible."

"They're might be a way now." Gally informed, clutching his vest. "But it doesn't work without Thomas."

"Is that so?" Lawrence countered while walking forwards, bringing his IV bag along with him. The closer he got to Thomas, the more he stepped into the light and Mae finally got a better look at him as the breath in her throat hitched. Half of his face were covered in thick veins that looked like slugs, one of his eyes were grey and that wasn't what shocked Mae the most, half of the man's nose had been ripped off.