chapter four

"Where's my phone call? Isn't that a thing?" Katelyn's angered voice echos off the walls around us.

She then moves her hand to the right a few bars, and she then does the same thing the way back. Her long blue nails help her fingers create an annoying clinging noise, and I roll my eyes.

I sit on the little bench, and I begin to wonder what dad would think if he heard that we are in jail. Or, a holding cell at least.

"Wow, I always thought that I would be in jail to bail Ryder out. I would have never thought I would be the one behind bars,"
Y/N comments.

I smirk once I notice Ryder visibly stiffen, and he then begins to bang on the wall for attention.

Vylad gets up aftet sitting in a corner, and he sits next to Y/N. They instantly indulge into a conversation, and I can't help but feel a bit jealous.

A police officer walks over to our cell. "Please quit making such a racket. You're disturbing other people, myself included."

Katelyn scuffs, and I feel somebody grab my arm. I see it's Ryder, and I follow him to the back of the cell praying that he won't beat me up. I highly doubt that he would, but it's Ryder, and I'm still learning about who he is besides annoying, rude, inconsiderate, conceited, a complete dumbass, and so on.

"Listen, they may just call all our parents. They probably will actually," he says.

I rip my arm from his grasp and take a step back. "And I should care why? My dad is already going to be pissed because of this. He's only going to blame me for Alex's idea."

"Because if we get to choose who to call, we need to call Charlie. That way we'll be able to get out of here quicker, and this won't be in any records."

I didn't want to admit it, but he's right. Charlie can make this all disappear within a snap of his fingers, and nobody would about this. It'd all be a secret. Better yet, it would be like none of this ever happened.

But sadly, my ego has decided to play against me.

"Fat chance Ryder."

I walk away, and he glares at me. For once, we could've gotten along, but I just had to refuse. I should've agreed, but both Ryder and me as a team doesn't work out; past missions have proven this. However, I like to not think of those.

I watch as Y/N laughs. Even in such a stressful time, she can find happiness. That's truly something I will not understand, and she continues to amaze me. But then again, she is talking to Vylad. Vylad can make anybody smile, even in the darkest times. But there's a pang in my chest, I want to be the one to make her smile. I ignore my past thought and look towards Katelyn. She's now standing with Alex, in a corner, but she seems distressed. I then decide to walk over to check it out.

"Is everything alright?" I ask, and Alex jumps slightlt turning towards me.

"Of course!" Alex says, but it comes out rushed. "Everything is a-okay."

I'm about to push against the topic, I can tell something is troubling them because of her word choice, but I begin to hear one of the police officers calling my name. I push the short conversation to the side with the conclusion of that they're concerned about the current situation we're in.

"Laurance Zvahl, Hayden appear not to be answer any of our phone calls. No one is answering our phone calls," he says with disgust. This means that Cadenza isn't home, and I still have a chance with Hayden not finding out about school, or this. "Is there anybody else I can call so you both can leave?"

I think about to Ryder's words. As much as I'd hate to admit he's right. . . I'm not. But I'll do what he says anyway. I look at the police and tell him the number and name. He stares at me annoyed but then walks off. He's extremely rude, but it's fine I suppose. He may of had to stay a little later because of us. Or he's just a prick, that's always an option.