T H R E E

Kyla had left Alex in bed when she went to make them a cup of tea since it was quite early in the morning, she jogged over from the day bed and reached the kettle. She began collecting the cups, humming a little and moving her hips slightly, she glanced up to see Alex staring at her with a smile on his face, he shook his head at her fanatics. Kyla had finally and successfully made two cups of tea without burning herself, she didn't know how many times in the staff room she had her hands under cold water from spillage. She carefully made her way back over to Alex who pulled the cover down letting her back into bed, and took the blue mug from her hands.

"You make a bloody amazing cup of tea." Alex said randomly staring at the liquid inside, before looking to Kyla with a puzzled look on his face.

"I get that a lot from the other teachers." Kyla replied shrugging, she never quite understood how tea could taste any different when others made it. As it was early morning and no one else seemed to be awake they were allowed to have their microphones switched off for a little bit, which meant they could have some serious conversations.

"Apart from history is there anything else you can teach?" Alex asked interested, he always loved learning new things when he was at school, it was one of the many reasons why he became a doctor, for he gets to learn new things everyday and help save lives which was a bonus.

"I have an A-Level in Business Studies and Geography, which means I could teach up to A-Level in those subjects, sometimes I cover for key stage 3 French." Kyla replied, she really enjoyed being a teacher ever since she did peer tutoring in her As Level in school. It made her realise how much kids needed to be educated these days not only in the basic of Maths and English but in everyday situations which she tries to in-corrupt into her lessons, for she knew if someone had of taught her how to cope growing up in her teenage years, maybe she wouldn't have made so many mistakes.

"How about you Mr Doctor? How's life in the A&E department?" Kyla asked turning herself to face him.

"Honestly I love it for you never know what could come in during the day. Obviously when it's serious it's hard knowing you may not be able to save them but watching the families reunite is the best feeling." Alex replied with a small smile on his face, he honestly loved his job but sometimes he wondered should he move away from the busy city of London, he missed Wales. They sat in silence for a bit just enjoying each others company before Alex glanced her way to see her looking at the tattoo on the side of her wrist.

"You never did tell me about her." Alex piped up, Kyla looked up to him with a sad smile before nodding, she took a deep breath before beginning, usually she never told anyone this but she knew she could trust Alex and she knew deep down Joy would love him.

"Joy had been my best friend since we were five, we did everything together really, I don't remember a single time when she wasn't there, me mum always joked we were joined at the hip, but good things come to an end." Kyla trailed off looking at the name once again, Alex could see she was getting slightly upset and he regretted asking.

"You don't have to tell me if-" Alex started but Kyla cut him off with a small shake of her head and a small laugh.

"No it's all right, she'd want you to know." Kyla smiled up at him grabbing his hand and giving it a tight squeeze.

"It was our second last year of school and it was around Christmas when she started getting unnervingly thin, she was easily bruised and always complained about being tired no matter how much sleep she got. Her mum took her to the doctor and they did many many blood tests, which I remember hearing about for she absolutely hated needles." Kyla laughed to herself remembering the conversations she had with Joy, "It wasn't until late January that the tests came back and we discovered she had stage 3 Chronic myelogenous leukemia. First she was given chemotherapy, it began to work and for six months she was clear, however it came back more aggressive, they decided to try a bone marrow transplant, they tested nearly everyone in her family and no one was a match, I put myself forward and turned out we matched. However her body began to reject the STEM cells and in the end there was nothing more they could do." Kyla replied avoiding eye contact, knowing they would be red and watery, she wasn't use to sharing this story as she blamed herself for the transplant not working.