Chapter 14: Caring and Confusion

VIDEO: I literally got a feels attack from this song. Seriously, I died and came back just to put it up for you wonderful demigods ;)

Percy slumbered on, his conscious deep in the back of his mind. Or so he thought.

"Why?" Someone sobbed. "Why me?" Confused, the asleep Percy felt the sudden urge to hug the person tight to his chest.

"What have I ever done to deserve this?" the voice continued in it's heart-breaking tone. The son of Poseidon felt his heart break along with the person. 'Whoever this is, he or she needs a hug.' Percy thought in his blurry mind, still heavy and asleep.

"First Bianca and now Percy." The person said, anger now lacing into her or his tone.

'Wha?' Percy thought, feeling his conscious starting to emerge. What did he do? Now slightly awake, the son of Poseidon opened his sea-green eyes tiredly to see a trembling Nico standing against the wall, his raven black hair fisted in his hands.

Percy saw Nico slide to the floor in defeat. "I hate him. I hate him so much." The younger demi-god's chest went up and down irregularly, his breaths exhaling like he just ran a mile. Percy felt his heart react the same way, feeling a wave of dread at Nico's proclamation of hatred towards him.

"Why do you hate me Nico?" Percy asked, his voice heavy from sleep. "Why?"

Nico's head whipped towards the sound of the older demi-god's voice, glaring at him with his full-on death stare. "Why do you care?" he growled.

Frustrated, Percy answered with exasperation. "Gee, I don't know Nico, maybe its because you're my friend."

Nico tucked his knees to his chest and sighed, looking at the ground. He ignoring what Percy said. "Stop acting like you care, Percy. I'm done with this crap."

"Poseidon's underpants, Nico! What do I have to do to make you understand?" Percy yelled, throwing his hands in the air.

Trying not to laugh at Percy's particular curse choice, Nico glared at the son of Poseidon and yelled in return,"Nothing, Percy, nothing! Just go away and leave me alone!"

Percy glared back. "If you really think I'm going to give up so fast, then you don't know me. I'm not leaving until you tell me why."

"Then you clearly don't know me either." Nico retorted. "I'm not some idiot that caves in so easily."

The older demi-god didn't answer, seeming to study the son of Hades. His gaze made Nico feel hot and tingly all over, making the younger demi-god feel as if the swirling depth of his sea-green eyes were looking right into his very soul. Feeling slightly embarrassed, Nico snapped, "What?" desperately trying to keep the tomato-red blush at bay.

"I care about you Nico." Percy said. "I really do." Getting to his feet, he walked over to Nico and crouched in front of him. He reached over and grasped Nico's chin, forcing Nico to look directly into Percy's eyes, sea-green meeting black. "And I'm going to prove it to you."

****************************************************************************************

Nico stared at the love of his life with complete and utter confusion. 'Prove it?' Nico thought. ' Why? Nobody cares for the son of Hades. What makes it so different now?' But after that thought he couldn't form another, getting thrown back into the waves of Percy's sea-green stare.

Percy didn't speak. With a serious expression on his face, he continued to stare into the deep pits of Nico's eyes. He couldn't look away, for the younger demi-god's gaze seemed to draw him in like black holes, sucking his presence until he got lost in them forever. The son of Poseidon felt an overwhelming amount of awe. Nico's eyes were like the night sky: mysterious, cold, and alluring. It's coal black depths seemed to be filled with sparkles of light, matching the stars above. How could Percy not have noticed this before?