- Twelve -

- Twelve -

"Hey, we got here as quick as we could."  Sarah says, rushing through the front door.  "Is everything alright?" 

"Where is she?" Nicola asks, following close behind.  

Nadine closes the door behind them and ushers them through the foyer.  "Thanks for coming.  She's in the other room.  Come on."

They head into the living room to find Cheryl lying on the couch, curled up under some blankets with her dogs curled up at her feet.  Her eyes are puffy and pink from crying.  Her breaths are shallow and her lips are dry. 

Sarah gently sits down on the edge of the couch.  "Babe, what's the matter?" 

Cheryl doesn't say a word.  She just stares ahead of her, at nothing in particular.  She doesn't acknowledge the question or the fact that there's anyone else in the room.

"Talk to us, babe."  Nicola sits on the floor in front of Cheryl.  Reaching up, she tucks a strand of fallen hair behind the brunette's ear.  Still no reaction whatsoever.  

Nadine takes a seat on the opposite couch.  Sarah and Nicola turn to her, looking for answers.  When Nadine called them earlier, she simply told them that Cheryl is sad and in need of her friends.  She spared them the details figuring they're for Cheryl to share, should she wish to.  

"Where's Kimberley?"  Nicola, asks.  "Is she on her way?  I should call her to see where she is."

Cheryl aches at the sound of her name. 

"No," Nadine replies simply.   

Nicola and Sarah take a look back to Nadine.

"Okay, what is going on?  Something is definitely not right here."  Sarah directs her gaze back to Cheryl, peeling the blankets away from her face and grabbing her hand.  "Cheryl?" 

"You know you can talk to us about anything, right babe?"  Nicola insists, smiling sadly.  "We're always here for you." 

Cheryl closes her eyes.  Upon opening them a moment later, she sits up slowly.  The three girls gather in closer, squishing up on the couch, keeping a comforting contact.  Cheryl plays idly with her hands in her lap, trying not to crumble under the girls' steady gaze. 

"Well," she finally mutters,  "I'm in love with me best friend."  Cheryl's voice is practically a sigh, as if her confession would be less extreme at a weaker tone.  

Nicola and Sarah immediately exchange glances.  Nadine simply reaches over to give Cheryl a reassuring touch on the leg. 

"I'm in love with me best friend and she wants absolutely nothing to do with us."  Cheryl laughs, ironically.  "I'm just amazin' at screwing things up.  Can I not just be happy?  Like what the f*ck is wrong with us? Please tell us."  She finally looks up at the girls, intently looking for an answer.  They don't say a word.  Cheryl chuckles lifelessly before standing up and leaving the room.  

"Okay what the f*ck just happened?" Sarah asks, fixing her gaze on Nadine.  

"Seriously now.  Care to fill us in?  I feel about ten steps behind all the damn time."  Nicola furrows her brow.  

"It's a long story.  I just happened to sort of figure it out."  Nadine sighs and puts her hands up in defense.  "I really think this is for Cheryl to explain."  

Sarah stands up.  "Well then let's go get some answers."  

"This is just ridiculous, though.  How could this be happening?  How could Kimberley not want anything to do with Cheryl?"  Nicola pulls out her mobile.  "I'm calling Kimberley right now-"