- Twenty-Seven -

Kimberley wakes rather early, her eyes greeted by a beautiful, sleeping Cheryl.  She ponders the intimate night they shared and feels an exceptional sense of peace.  Perhaps the calm after a storm, sort of effect.  She studies the Geordie's face, pleased to find a look of contentment and ease, raising the notion that maybe Cheryl is feeling that same calmness.  She carefully leans in to press a gentle kiss to her forehead before gingerly untangling herself from clingy arms.  

Having noticed the time, Kimberley decides to quickly finish up her packing and ready herself before Cheryl wakes so they can have some time to just be together until her flight this afternoon.  She throws on a robe and whizzes around the room as quietly as possible, gathering the last bit of necessities for her month abroad.  Once pleased with the two large cases and medium carry-on, she retires to the bathroom for a shower.  Before she can even turn the water on, she hears a cry of her name.

"Kimba," she hears once more.  She smiles to herself, rushing out of the en suite.  

Kimberley enters the bedroom to see Cheryl sitting up, holding the duvet to her chest.  Her dark brown tresses are messily hanging down past her shoulders and she's staring off with a small, content smile playing on her lips.  Her eyes are tired but she's still as beautiful as ever.  

"Morning, baby."

Cheryl looks up to meet her and smiles, dimples carving up her gorgeous face.  "Hi," she says, almost shyly.  

"I'm sorry, did I wake you?  I was trying to be quiet."

"I didn't hear anything," she shrugs.  "I just didn't feel you."

Kimberley smiles sadly, making her way to the side of the bed.  She leans down to give Cheryl a tender kiss on the lips.  "I just wanted to get as much done as I could before you got up so we could just spend some time."

Cheryl closes her eyes, timidly lifting her lips for Kimberley to take again.  

The atmosphere seems unusual this morning.  Not tense or awkward - not lusty or sensual.  It's just a simple and content sort of calm.  Almost eerily so.  But it's comfortable.  Perhaps as if a barrier has been broken or a weight has been lifted or a hurdle has been cleared.  Simply as if, somewhere, progress has been made.  

"Today's the day," Cheryl says lightly.  

Kimberley nods.

"I can't wait to watch you on GMA tomorrow," Cheryl grins adoringly.

The comment flutters Kimberely's heart as she's pleased to see Cheryl focusing on something positive. She plays idly with ends of Cheryl's hair, gazing lovingly down at her.  She reaches for Cheryl's hand. 

"I was just about to hop in the shower.  Come join me," she says, pulling her up from the bed.  

Cheryl smiles, gingerly getting out of bed.  She takes a step but her legs tremble, giving out beneath her slight weight.  She falls into Kimberley's arms.  Kimberley frowns, realizing how sore Cheryl must be.  So she just holds her closely, supporting her small body.  Cheryl clings to her.  

"Are you okay, my love?" she whispers, pressing light kisses to Cheryl's head.  

Cheryl nods against Kimberley's chest.  "Just sore," she mumbles, shyly.

Kimberley can't help the dab of guilt from pressing in her chest.  "I'm sorry, Cheryl."

"Why?"

Kimberley shrugs meekly, embracing Cheryl even tighter.  "Maybe I went too far."

Cheryl pulls away, tears threatening her beautiful brown eyes.  "No.  Please, no.  People only say sorry when they've done something wrong and they feel regret."