Chapter 16

Audrey searched for information in a room with Damon while Elena was in the other room with Vanessa. Audrey bumped into Damon which he replied with a tiny bump. Audrey chuckled and looked at him. He smiled but soon continued researching. Audrey breathed deeply and felt like something was summoning her. Since she found out about the fact she was supernatural she became, well, more aware of things happening around her. Maybe she even felt what she needed to do sometimes. She walked past a shelve but got shivers so she stopped and backed. There was definitely something going on on that area. She ran her fingers on the books and one peticular book stood out; Petrova.

"Any luck?" Damon's voice startled Audrey. She turned around and looked at Elena who was searching something from a box.

"There's nothing in here about Katherine that we don't already know," Elena said to Damon with a tired voice.

"I thought we were searching for werewolf mythology?" Audrey walked to her sister.

"We are but I need to know why we look like her," Elena responded and moved strands of her hair behind her ear.

"Hey guys, check this out," Ric said. Vanessa walked behind him and with a book.

"There's no record of werewolf mythology in Mystic Falls, but here are some records of some of the lesser known legends. Everything from Scandinavian skin-walkers to the Maréchal de Retz," Vanessa said and gave them a book with drawings in it. Vanessa said something in a different language before starting to explain.

"Which roughly translates into the "curse of the sun and the moon"."

"It's Native American," Ric said.

"Aztec. It explains one origin of the werewolf curse traced through Virginia. The short story: 600 years ago, the Aztecs were plagued by werewolves and vampires. They terrorized the countryside, made farming and hunting impossible until an Aztec shaman cursed them, making vampires slaves to the sun and werewolves servants of the moon. As a result, vampires could only prowl at night and werewolves could only turn on a full moon. When the full moon crests in the sky, who's ever unlucky enough to fall under the werewolf curse turns into a wolf," Vanessa told to them. Audrey frowned.

"Can they control the transformation?" Damon asked.

"If it were a choice, it wouldn't be called a curse. Werewolves will attack humans but instinct and centuries of rivalry have hardwired them to hunt their prey of choice: vampires."

"Well, if werewolves were hunting vampires, I would know about it," Damon stepped in with a narrow of his eyes.

"Not if there aren't that many werewolves left alive. Hundreds of years ago, vampires hunted them almost to extinction."

"Why would they do that?" Elena questioned.

"To protect themselves. Legend has it that a werewolf bite is fatal to vampires," Vanessa's sentence made Damon tense.

"Oh my god," Audrey gasped and lifted her hand to cover her mouth. "I need to use the bathroom."

She stormed out of Isobel's office to the hall. Finding a bathroom wasn't hard, it was just few feet away from her. She got in to the warm colored room. She glanced at her left where two mirrors, the brunette glanced back with judgy eyes and a smirk. Was she seeing things that weren't there? What the hell was happening? Her breathing was more like gasping; struggling. She ran her hands through her wavy hair and leaned to the bathroom level. The door behind her opened and someone walked in. She turned and he was there, like he always was. Audrey looked at him, miserable.

"I should be more worried than you, don't you think?" Damon asked with a smile.

"I just, felt this nausea. Something's wrong I can feel it," she breathed. Damon walked closer and grabbed the girl into a strong embrace. Her head was pressed against his chest and he stroke her hair.

"It's okay, we can leave. Go outside, grab some air," he said calm. Audrey closed her eyes for a moment, just to even her breath.

"I'm fine now," she smiled to his shirt.

***

The car ride home wasn't as awkward as Audrey had thought it woudl be. Though her and Damon changed glares from time to time it was kept kind of a secret. Audrey couldn't help to smile everytime she catched Damon's eyes on her.

Finally they arrived home. Audrey got out of Ric's S.U.V and as Elena had Stefan, Audrey realized that she had Damon. She watched Damon get out of the car. If she wanted to say something she needed to say it now.

"Damon I-" she started. A massive pain hit her head. At the yard she collapsed to the ground, the grass felt cold and wet. The pain made her blind and deaf. The blood started running down her nose, her mouth, her ears. Everywhere.

Damon, Elena, Stefan Ric and Jenna all got to Audrey. Damon grabbed Audrey's lifeless body in his hands and tried to wake her. The pretty face was all over colored in blood. Damon was helpless. There was no heartbeat, no breathing, nothing. Audrey was dead.

"No," he said struggling with tears. Jenna and Elena were on the edge of tears, until Elena realized.

"Damon," she said and they looked at each other. Audrey had his blood in her system.

"Ric take Jenna inside. Audrey's going to be okay," Elena breathed in.

"She's gonna be okay."

____

I hate myself for doing this. First of all this chapter was super short. And second of all this was, well, let's just say that I am not pleased. But I hope you guys are! Sorry :/