Jumpscare

--Troye's POV--

Tyler paid for all three of us and we took our seats next to each other in the theatre. It was just like I had expected. Korey, Tyler, then me. I was sitting next to Tyler in a dark room. And we were gonna watch a horror movie.

    The movie started and I had my arm on the arm-rest. Korey got up about fifteen minutes into the movie to get popcorn. Nothing scary had happened yet, they were just getting into the plot of it.

    Korey came back five minutes later, and passed the bag of popcorn between the three of us until he decided to just set it on the ground next to him. No, nothing happened like Tyler and I’s hands touching in the popcorn bag.

    But then it was almost halfway through the movie.

I knew something scary was gonna happen. Something was gonna be there when the main character turned around. I clenched my jaw not to scream and held my breath.

    He was turning… turning…

BOOM

    Jumpscare.

Thankfully all that happened was an eye-twitch from me, but Korey jolted back in his seat, and Tyler; Tyler screamed and flung his hand onto mine.

    My eyes widened, and I was thinking of if I should move my hand away or not. Would that be rude? Or would it be okay because he doesn’t like me like that? I had no idea.

    I decided to keep my hand where it was, expecting Tyler to notice the contact and move it himself.

    But he didn’t.

He left his hand on top of mine, and then right before I finally twitched my finger as a signal of me moving it, he intertwined his fingers with mine.

    I could feel myself blushing.

I looked at him confused, and he looked back at me, noticed my expression, looked down at our hands as a question, and I nodded. Then he just shrugged his shoulders. I turned back to watching the movie, but I could feel Tyler’s eyes still on me. I was about to turn back to him, but then out of nowhere I felt his breath on my ear and told myself not to shiver.

    “It’s just in case I get scared” he whispered, and then shook his hand in mine in a friendly manner.

    I just nodded, because I was too flustered to whisper back.

I turned my attention back to the movie, and I wasn’t expecting the next scare.

    BOOM

I squeaked, thankfully quietly enough for Tyler to probably not have heard me, especially over his louder squeak. But as I jolted back a little in my seat, he gripped my hand tightly when some possessed man came on screen. He eased off, and I squeezed his hand lightly as reassurance.

    We turned to look at each other at the same time he smiled at me. I smiled back, and I had the thought of leaning in to kiss him, but I of course would not be going through with that idea.

    The rest of the movie left me with wide eyes every second, and Tyler constantly grasping my hand in his.

    The thought ran through my mind of ‘Korey is a closer friend, why isn’t Tyler holding his hand?’ but it was quickly erased when I saw Korey holding his knees in terror. That must’ve been why. I was just more available at the moment.