Chapter Twenty-Six

I adjusted my camera bag over my shoulder as I hiked up the side of the mountain, my breath white in the freezing air. It was -3 degrees Celsius, and the tips of my fingers that stuck out from my fingerless gloves were red and stiff from the cold. I turned to survey the view, and to catch my breath. I could see the house, appropriately named Tractor Hill, sitting on its peak down below in the valley. The sky was cloudless, and the sun beat down on me but didn't make me feel any better.

Natasha wasn't really talking to me. It had been 3 days since my lies were uncovered and the only replies I got from her were short and curt. Taly was quiet, but she was still grieving the loss of her grandmother. I spent most of my time trekking in the bush, stalking large stags, both for photographing and for meat. I could kill a stag few 100 metres away with one blast, and the meat was still good to eat. I'd gotten my first yesterday, and we had enough meat to last a few weeks at least. Now I basically isolated myself, spending my time alone in the mountains, and by the river.

The burden on my shoulders and the guilt in my stomach had lessened immensely since telling Tasha and Taly my secrets. But somehow, I didn't feel relieved. In fact, I felt worse, because I may have just lost the trust of my best friend forever. There was no way of knowing if she would want me back as her friend, and I couldn't be sure she wouldn't tell the others. After all, she had dumped all of SHIELD and HYDRAs files online. It was a risk I was willing to take.

We took precautions. We took 4 hour shifts each night, and all alarms and tripwires were set. Guns were polished, knives sharpened. It was inevitable that they would eventually track us here. As it turned out, Rebekah's partner, Andrew, had killed Taly's father. In return Taly killed Andrew. Rebekah's hunt started out as a hunt for revenge, but when she met Monique, she must have realized hunting me down would gain her much more than hunting Taly. Of course, I would imagine killing Taly would be an added bonus, but I was the priority. How they thought they could defeat the Black Widow, I'll never know.

My boots crunched on the snow that was nestled in between tree roots and along the sides of the well-worn path I walked along, and I wrapped my scarf tighter around my neck. Further along, I spotted a shaggy stag, poking his large head out from the brush. I crouched, and carefully, without a sound, unzipped my camera bag and slid out my camera, flicking the on button. Breathing shallowly in the chilly air, I raised the camera to my face. The stag seemed unaware of my presence, and before he could bolt I snapped a few pictures. Then, out of the blue, a doe appeared beside him, chewing on some leaves. The stag leaned his head closer to hers, their cheeks settled against each other. In the morning light, with the snow speckled trees and crisp air, it seemed that the whole world belonged to them.

Then I leaned back, and my boot snapped a twig beneath me. The stag and the doe perked up, their eyes wild and untamed. Then they were gone, bolting away through the brush, scattering birds and animals alike. I stood and slipped my camera back into its bag.

Continuing along the path, I once again began to think about Steve. Specifically, if I should call him or not, and tell him I was ok. That we were ok, I mean. I had told I would, but as everyone knows, I didn't always tell the truth.

No, I wouldnt call him. Tasha was mad enough at me as it was, and I didn't want to ruin what little relationship we still had left. He would be annoyed, for sure, but as long as he didnt know what I had told Tasha, it would be fine.

We would be fine.

My foot slipped on a wet tree root and I fell on my backside, sharp pain running up my tail bone. Using some words I'm sure Steve wouldn't have appreciated, I stood up and shook my head. I loved nature and everything, but sometimes it really stabbed me in the back.

A few hours later, I sat by the river, contemplating whether to get in or not. The cold didnt bother me much, at least not in a way that I felt. I'd never been much of a swimmer. I know how to swim, but I had an irrational fear of deep water, and although the river couldnt have been more than 2 metres deep, I was hesitant to enter. The water was supposed to be a distraction but, as usual it didn't work.