Zero Chance of Victory

Chapter 8: Zero Chance of Victory

5th December 2020, 7.00pm

            There was a knock on my door. I startled from my thoughts and hurried to open the door. It was Syahir. The tall and buffed man in a plain white shirt and slacks stood on my doorway. His face was square with a rough patch of facial hairs on his chin. His expression was cold and emotionless. He was missing his sunglasses, exposing his bored and emotionless eyes.

            “You are required to reporting in to meeting room for a briefing on today’s Tengah.” He said with no kind of emotions.

            “Oh, it is time already? I thought they would call me over through the intercom.”

            “They did. You didn’t came so they send me.” He state in a matter of fact way.

            “Oh...” Wow, I got really lost in my thoughts just now. “I will be there in a minute, let me go and wash my face for a while. Syahir nodded and strodes away.

            He stretched my body. Man, my body is still sore. After that rigorous Weilding training with Nina, she told me to get a little rest before Tengah. I was thinking of napping but the thoughts of my powers disturbs me from actually napping. It was really joyful that I somehow figure out my powers but the practice thought of using in Tengah baffles me. What if I can’t use it properly during a confrontation? I might as well be dead.

            Cold water made contact with my face. It was refreshing at least. 30 minutes rest after hours of training is simply not sufficient. I saw my reflection on the mirror. True to that, I looked awful. Droppy eyes, red nose from the punch earlier and my hair was dishelved. Well, I did had a really rough time these past few days. I wipe my wet face with a hand towel and left the room.

                                                                        *

            I am not lying. The meeting room is really impressive. The very existence of a meeting room in an average bunglow baffles me. It is a little small, but it works. It is mostly occupied by the large conference table at the center of the room. Every visible wall in the room is hidden behind large bookshelves. From what Nina told me during the tour around the house, the meeting room doubles as a study and a second library. At the end of one of the table was a medium-sized LCD screen. On the conference table are random notes, pile of papers and an empty mug. Seated across the room is Nina, looking calm and reserved, and Mrs. Zarina with a huge frown on her face while her eyes scanning the papers in her hands.

            “Oh, you are here. Finally.” Nina greeted me. She is in her sophisticated and reserved mode. “Have a seat, we have a little time for a quick briefing about today’s Tengah.” She looked at her watch. “It is 7.05. Around 20 minutes before Tengah started.”

            Mrs. Zarina put down the papers in her hands and sighed. She sent a look at me. “I’m sorry Arif. I couldn’t find anything else on your Crest and House. I have searched high and low through my archives but I could not find anything.”

            “No, no. It’s okay Mrs. Zarina. We will figure out someday. There is no reason to apologize to me.” This is awkward. To have a woman in her forties apologize to a teen like you felt wrong.

            She smiled. “I’m glad.” Her smile radiates maternal affection which make my heart warm.

            “So, Arif.” Nina butted in. “Did you remember what I told you at the hospital? About how we are going to change the War?”