9

I never understood Hoseok's actions and his motives behind them. I never understood why he would sometimes talk to the flowers as if they were humans or how he gets excited whenever he sees me in the cafe every morning.

Either way, I always try to read his emotions through his eyes, and nothing ever seems to work. I always see happiness.

It fascinates me to see Hoseok feel annoyance or sadness and deny the feelings. He's an interesting human, wanting to hang out with a Reaper. However, he doesn't know I am one, so that explains a part.

I stared at Hoseok as he crouched by a crying kid, saying some inaudible words to him. Hoseok walked off, returning with an ice cream cone which he handed to the kid. The kid beamed at Hoseok, running off with his ice cream.

"Why'd you do that?" I asked as Hoseok returned with newly bought ice cream for the both of us. He handed me my cone before sitting down on the other side of the park bench.

"I don't know," Hoseok shrugged, eating his ice cream. "I just have a soft spot for children. That's why I aspire to be a children's book author."

"Wait, you do?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

"Wait, I said out loud?" Hoseok laughed nervously. "I'm embarrassed to say." He huffed, looking away from me with his cheeks dusted pink. "Being a florist is just something to help me earn money as I write stories."

"So you're an author?" I asked, my back against the railing of the chair, facing him. I put my feet up on the bench, Hoseok following suit.

"Not yet," Hoseok sighed, shaking his head. "It's hard to look for a publisher who's willing to accept your book when you keep scrapping it before you even finish, you know?"

I laughed lightly, nodding. I pulled out a book, reading from where I left off.

I glanced up after a few paragraphs, Hoseok with his eyes closed and facing up at the sky. He and I finished our ice cream, something unusual to eat with weather like this, but we both didn't mind.

I gazed at him, watching as his chest rose up and down, thinking.

I too was deep in thought. I wondered if Hoseok really saw me as a friend. Or someone just to help him kill time. Or someone to use.

I also wondered what Hoseok did these past 15 years I've been gone.

Of course, he finished elementary, culminated middle school, and graduated from high school. Though what about college? He doesn't go to any classes, so I don't think he does. But he is 24 so maybe he already finished what he needed? And what happened to his parents? And his sister? Where are they now? Or how about the fact he got shot in the lung? Is there a scar there or is it completely gone? I'm not sure.

Hoseok looked peaceful, staring at the sky, looking like he was deciphering some code. He blinked when he needed to, so I knew he wasn't completely dead. But he appeared to be deep in a dream.

I don't understand why I couldn't read Hoseok as easily as others. I can make eye contact with a human and within seconds I can at least piece together some of their life stories through their emotions. Still, why couldn't I do the likewise for Hoseok? I keep getting stuck on his dark eyes, always glimmering with hope and delight. Or the smile, constantly brightening the room.

Hoseok glanced at me, making eye contact.

I saw something in his eyes- embarrassment? Anxiety? Excitement? Concern?

Then just like that, it disappeared as I noticed Hoseok's small smile. I jumped slightly as I felt something warm against my neck, creeping into my cheeks. My hands also felt warm, making me look away from Hoseok, returning to my book.

The feeling was foreign, strange, and terrifying to some extent. But, it felt heavenly. To feel something other than cold.

Even one taste of warmth... left me addicted...