Chapter 7

They weren't there before...

They definitely are not mom's size shoes...

Did they come for me cause I know Saturo?

All of these thoughts and questions flooding my mind made me wonder what exactly was happening. If it was a burglary things would have been stolen, but mom just said that the place was trashed. 

As I stay limp in my mother's arms I just think through more and more, finding myself deeper in my mind before she pulls away and looks at me and then to Ms Fujinuma. I had forgotten that she was still here. Looking back I see her looking exactly what I was looking at.

The footprints

"I think you should call the authorities cause it is a break-in" Ms. Fujinuma said calmly in order to keep everyone in a calm state, of course my mother was everything but calm. Watching her stand her eyes looked puffy and red showing she was crying before I showed up.

"I looked through the house though and nothing was taken, its just ransacked, especially Cho's room.. thats why-" she said before looking back at me and rubbing her palm against her eyes to try and push the oncoming tears back in. 

"But she is here, look I'm going to call them." Ms. Fujinuma said and dismissed herself and walked a few steps away and called 911.

My mother had turned to me and just held onto my cheeks and memorized over my face. I awkwardly smiled as her eyes analyzed my entire face as if to never let it leave her memory. After a few minutes of awkwardness she lowered her hands and Ms. Fujinuma returned, a sound of sirens in the distance instantly occurring.

The two began talking about the situation and I zoned out, a common occurrence recently. I crouched down next to the footprints and looked at them. It was a standard pattern for a snow shoe, the size of the shoe kind of gave off a male adult vibe.

Standing up I align my foot right next to it and then move it and compare the sizes. Mine were about half the size of this unknown person's shoes. I need to get a picture. I slowly go inside of the house and run upstairs in my room and see the room in shambles. My white sheet thrown off the board and all the drawers are open. The picture of jun and the information torn off and resting on the floor.

I step over the obstacles of drawers thrown on my floor and clothes scattered and then pick up my camera on my desk. It was Polaroid, my mom got it for me for my birthday. Holding it close to my chest I walk down the steps again and back outside. Police are already talking to my mother and I slowly slip behind them and to the footsteps. 

Facing the front of the house I snap a photo of the footprints leading in and out and wait for the film to come out. Pinching the white edges with my fingers and shaking it back and forth I squat next to the footprint with mine next to it for size reference. 

As I wait for the film to come out I tuck the camera under my arm and take the film out, now shaking two at once. The two officers who were there talking to my mother seemed to ignore my presence at first but one was looking at me every so often, the older one. He chuckled and looked at my mother "Looks like you have a little detective on the case already".

His laughter was a booming one, loud and jolly. It brightened the mood a little and my mother chuckled back. "Yes, she is a clever girl, I can see her going into that" smiling at me and then waving me inside as the police went first. 

Crap the picture of Jun and the information is on the ground.

As they searched the downstairs portion of the house I slipped upstairs. As I went into my room and threw the camera on the bed, making it land in the middle, and then pocket the pictures. I heard bits and pieces of the conversation downstairs.