Chapter 9: The Party

The week passes quickly. A part of me likes that it does, but another part of me wants it to slow down. I have no idea why that is. Whenever I try to picture what has happened during the week, all I can see is the way Caroline's pen moves as she dives into her assignment before anyone else even looks at the board. I notice the way she quirks up her left eyebrow whenever something complexes her. She seems to do that a lot; especially when our eyes meet during class. It's only for a second, and even though I should, I can't find it in me to regret the looks. The small looks are all I can do to make sure that she's still there; that the one good thing going for me hasn't disappeared overnight.

"I still can't believe you're going to the party solo, Nik. That's not very sophisticated of you."

"Since when did sophistication rely on if someone interests me enough to be asked to this 'party', Rebekah? Be glad I'm even going."

Rebekah rolls her eyes as she adjusts the sides of her strapless, dark brown dress in my mirror.

"You know what I mean by sophistication. Brother, you and I both know you don't have a date on purpose."

"That's not true-"

"You don't have a date because you plan on creeping around in the corners, pining over Caroline Forbes, and probably staring daggers into her boyfriend Tyler."

"That is ridiculous! I just couldn't find anyone suitable to court. I was only given a week's notice."

Rebekah doesn't respond as she waltzes out of my room. I can hear her mumble something about how I've compelled hundreds in less than twenty-four hours, so it couldn't be that hard to compel one person in seven days.

I sigh out loud as I tighten my tie. Why didn't I compel someone? It's so unlike me to not blend in with others around me. It would be only common sense for me to compel a normal, human woman to attend the party with me. I can only think of one reason why I did not: I didn't want to, and for me, that just doesn't seem like reason enough.

☾☆☾☆☾  

Even after centuries on this earth, there isn't a time most discerning than when the time comes to be invited into someone's home. It never fails to amaze me that although I am the world's most indestructible supernatural being, I can't even walk through a doorway on my own accord.

Yet, this time always seems to intrigue me. The act of trusting an individual to come into your home is so elementary with humans. It's such a normal thing to do. Family, friends, coworkers, significant others, they're all invited in and welcomed. Humans never seem to think that what they are inviting into their most personal sanctuaries can dissipate that sanctity with things they have never imagined. Things most probably couldn't imagine. This thought seems to somehow become a lot more personal when I realize that Caroline is one of these clueless humans.

"Hello. You must be Niklaus. I'm Carol Lockwood. Come on in. Champagne and appetizers are out back. Please, make yourself comfortable." As fast as she arrives in front of me, she's strutting away.

I make my way through the grand doors and stand on the stone pathway leading to the expansive lawn. My eyes automatically dart over to the large group of people standing in their own little corner of the yard; oblivious to everyone else around them.

Elena Gilbert is talking animatedly to Bonnie as Jeremy and Damon are talking to a man with his back turned to my vision. I start to wonder where Stefan is just as Jeremy says something that makes the man clutch his side from laughter. This makes his body angle just enough for me to see who it is.

Alaric Saltzman.

"Nice party, huh?"

The hand of Stefan Salvatore clasps my shoulder as he moves to stand beside me.