Prologue

I wake up with a start. I don’t know if it’s from a bad dream that I couldn’t remember no matter how hard I try, or because of the sharp, strong smell of the pollens that drifts through the air so visible like snow falling during daylight. It has become a familiar smell that I woke to every midnight since I brought this Shaymin to our quarters. For some reasons, he (yup, though Shaymins were naturally genderless, I already decided it is a ‘he’, I wanted him to be: p) always uses Sweet Scent every time he falls deeply asleep. I don’t know if it’s deliberate, habitual or just his nature, but it is surely a welcome comfort in these very stressful times. His snout was perched on my right shoulders and his body that was covered with soft grass-like fur was leaning on the side of my head. I run my long fingers in his torso brushing his fur and felt him stir and moved away from my face. I know he likes it when I do that. The smell is still lingering and would be for a long time, and I got up from the bed cause I know I wont be able to go back to sleep soon. I went towards the window and pulled it open. Cold wind breezed in intensifying the scent. I really loved it. It’s like I’m in a garden full of blooming flowers. I stared outside. It’s barely two in the morning and the night is starless and moonless so it’s very dark outside. I heard a faint hoot of a Noctowl from a distant forest and suddenly remembered the very first time I met Shaymin.