Chapter 4 : Up and Running

“I’m a total loser. I didn’t even make a scratch to his Pokémon.” Noel said a few moments after his loss on Colton. He was so upset that he was defeated easily. We sat on a bench by the fountain at the center of the city.

“No, that wasn’t true.” I amended. “Colton is just a really tough opponent. How many badges have you earned?”

“Badge? Well…None. This is my very first time. I was so sure of myself that I'm going to get my very first badge here. But that was all just a shattered dream.” He answered.

“Well that speaks for it. I remember when I challenged Colton back then I already have 5 badges and my Pokémon were all trained to battle with gyms.” I recalled.

“Really? He’s that tough you have to train and earn 5 badges before you decided to challenge him?”

“Do I seem to be the lying type to you? Why don’t you head home and challenge Memorial City’s gym leader first. I’m sure Sandrine will be able to help you a lot.” I said.

“Hmmm…you think I can win over her? Isn’t she one of our clan’s finest? I'm sure she’ll just pulverize me.” Noel countered.

“You’ll never know if you never try. Anyway, I gotta get going. My bus is leaving in a few minutes. See you around.” I said as I started to walk away. Shaymin is quiet on my pocket. It is still not accustomed to people. I haven’t walked that far when Noel caught up on my side.

“You know what; I think I’ll challenge Sandrine. But that would have to wait because we have a job request to do.” He said with a new found joy, what a moody lad.

“We? I don’t recall having a ‘we’ in my job request. Just head home. I will handle this by myself.” I urged. He can’t come. Not when I'm with Shaymin. He will surely see it if I let him join me.

“What? This might be a good training for me. With all the adventures that awaits me there, plus I have you to impart your expertise, this will be a blast.” He reasoned.

“True, but the answer is still no. Just go back to Memorial City and say hi to Leyn for me okay?” I said in finality.

“Come on man, you’re so selfish. I'm sure I would be a real help. I wont be a hindrance to you I promise. Just let me tag along.”

We had turned around an alley towards the entrance of the city when suddenly I stopped. Behind, Noel bumped into me.

“What is wrong…” he wasn’t able to finish what he was about to say when he saw five men in front of us. They wore black shirt and pants with bat H design on it. So they had followed me after all. With the look on their faces, Noel probably discern they are not the friendly type.

“Hello, we were just passing by…” Noel started.

The men didn’t waste any time as they threw out their pokeballs. Three Koffings and two Sandiles come out to block our way.

Shaymin is squishing in my pocket now. He knows we’re in big trouble. Noel already had a pokeball out. It’s going to be difficult if I engaged in a battle here. People might see Shaymin, as if I needed additional pursuers on my tail. I waved him off. We aint gonna fight here, if we don’t have to.

“How fast can you run?” I whispered.

“We’re running? We can take them on.” Noel said.

“That’s foolish. On three, run to the east and make sure you run your ass off, understood?” I replied.

“Fine.” He answered.

“Now…three!” I shouted as we both run to the right and went in another alley. It will be difficult for them to follow us because it was a bit narrow plus we have a head start. Amidst the busy city, this place is pretty much deserted much to my delight. So it’s just me, Noel and Shaymin. The Koffings begun pursuit, followed by the Sandiles. Behind them, the Havoc grunts.