Prologue

The Brenhurst is an asylum located in the wonderful state of Pennsylvania and in the small town of Newville. In the 1800s it was considered a disappointment to even live near the asylum. The people who did live near the location didn't worry about their reputation, they worried about their minds and their lives. There were only five or so houses near the asylum, what could be so bad? Remember, it was the 1800s. Every single household could hear every little thing that happened in the dark building down the road. Due to the poor architecture in the past, the family didn't need to be outside to hear the screams of a tied down psychopath, or a woman screaming at her different personalities. Children would have nightmares with the screaming people, and some even were haunted by the ghosts of the dead patients at the psychiatric hospital. People who even walked near the hospital felt different. It affected their feelings, either depressingly, or crazily. A woman was strolling around the asylum to receive her mail for the evening from the post office. As soon as she reached the first fence of the gate her bright day turned dark. She felt worthless to her children, she felt like a terrible wife. She got her mail and returned home. She made her family the last meal she’d ever cook. During the night she gave her husband one last kiss and she ran to the nearest cliff and threw herself off, ending the depressing thoughts roaming in her head. The asylum was that bad. People couldn’t even look at photos of it in the newspaper. They were terrified of the name if it was mentioned.

Nowadays there are haunted run-throughs teenagers can go to during Halloween. It’s fine to them, but when it’s closed down on the night of Halloween it’s horrific. No one realizes how scary the asylum was and is, but that might change.