Chapter One

I’m going to be late! On my first day of school! Miyo rushes out of her home, kissing her blue-eyed father, “Tell Dad good luck on the music today!”

“Of course baby, have a great first day of school!”

“Thanks! Love you!” Miyo is halfway down the driveway.

“Love you too!” Her father shouts before shutting the door.

Miyo picks up a jog towards the bus stop. She sees the bus coming towards her. She sighs and picks up her speed. She wishes she could drive, but she’s only a sophomore and can’t start until the end of May, which is her 16th birthday. The bus stops near a cherry tree where two other kids are standing. The black haired girl sighs in relief. She watches the other two people get onto the bus and then she follows. On the bus, she finds an empty seat and pops in some earbuds. Of course, the darling goes right to David Bowie. Gosh, how she loved Bowie. She got her taste of music from both of her dads.

As the music plays she grabs her schedule and looks down her classes. Geometry is first, then Honors Biology, Piano, “Cool Dad plays the piano.” Miyo whispers to herself, smiling. Lunchtime then study hall, then to finish off the day Government and Coding. Miyo smiles to herself. For the rest of the bus ride, she stares out the window with her earbuds blaring music.

“Stop.” Ethan states as Clive and the rest of his football buddies join up. “I don’t have money today. I’m sorry.”

“Then do my chem homework nerd.” One of the players shout. Ethan can’t help but chuckle. Clive shoves Ethan against the bathroom wall. “You better pay double tomorrow then.”

“It’s just freaking lunch money. I’m surprised you guys can’t afford it.” Ethan snaps. Clive pushes harder against Ethan, “Bring me double, or I’ll turn your glasses into fucking contacts.” Ethan weakly nods. Clive lets go of him and walks out with the rest of his football friends. Ethan watches all the tall men walk out, thinking they’re so strong. He pushes off the wall and fixes his glasses. He takes a deep breath and walks out of the bathroom.

The band room is empty, except for one soft, beautiful sound. Her blue hair shimmers under the lights. Her head moves back and forth in passion. The bow moves gracefully over the bridge of the instrument. She smiles as the wonderful sound echoes through the lifeless room. Usually, kids would be in here, hanging around, practicing stuff for district band, or a part of the show from marching band. Gwin, she sorta disliked the spelling of her name but loved the uniqueness of it. Gwin nearly finishes the song, but a loud bang from the sophomore lockers scare her. Why were the second less mature kids put near the band room?

A kid with dark red hair, obviously dyed, because most Asians aren’t born with red hair.  He ran from his locker with a few other boys chasing him. The weird thing is he was laughing. Gwin shrugs and continues playing.

The red-haired boy runs faster and faster, losing breath as he laughs at the same time. “Jake! You piece of shit!” The senior sprints after him, shouting more names. Jake laughs, still seeing the picture of the poor senior opening his locker to a bunch of dirty jockstraps. His face of disgust is still in Jake’s mind. The senior didn’t do anything wrong to Jake, he just loved pissing people off. The two sprint into the library. A girl with orange waves and her nose in a book looks up. She rolls her eyes as the boys run past. Jake makes quick eye contact with her but keeps running. Her heart beats two off, she breathes heavily but continues her book about trolls who aren’t really trolls, and there is a princess, who didn’t know she was a princess of a troll kingdom. “Lillie!?” Her head pops out from the book, “Yes?”

“The new student is here, would you like to show her around?”

“Sure thing!” Lillie gets up from behind the desk and runs to the office.

“Miyo?” Lillie reads the paper one of the women in the office handed her. “Yes.” Miyo nods in response and Lillie sticks her hand out. Miyo is hesitant, but she eventually shakes Lillie’s hand. “So, ready to start a new life here in the great PA?” Lillie smiles at Miyo and she nervously laughs. Lillie takes Miyo throughout the school, every small math class in every huge chemistry lab.

“Alrighty, right now we’re in second period, and your’s is… Honors Biology on the second floor.” Lillie nods at Miyo and starts to walk away, “Wait, Lillie?” The dark skinned girl turns around to the nervous pale one, “Yes?”

“Could you escort me there?” Miyo’s face goes from pale to red. Lillie smiles, “Of course.” They both start towards the stairway to go up a floor, walking side by side. Miyo might have made her first friend. “Where are you from Miyo?”

“Well, I used to live in Toronto, Canada.”

“Seriously? Sweet! How’d you like it there?”

“I kinda miss it. It’s where my dad lived before he got married to my dad from North Carolina. So to separate my dad’s, well… one is part Asian, the other one is more European. Make sense?”

“Yeah.” Lillie laughs, “Having two dads is hard to explain. How about the dad jokes?”

“Oh God.” Lillie and Miyo break out laughing.

After the stairs, and a few giggles Lillie asks more questions about Miyo, “What grade are you in?”

“10th, what about you?”

“11th.” She smiles and then stops walking, “Welp, here we are.” Miyo shakes Lillie’s hand again, “It was really nice meeting you.”

“You too.”

Lillie’s heels click down the hallway. Miyo takes a deep breath and opens the door, everyone stares at her. “Miyo Dennis!?” The teacher seems super nice, so that’s a pro. “Yes.” God, I’m so quiet. The thought swarms in her mind. “You sit back with Gwin, otherwise known as blue hair.” The class chuckles and the so-called Gwin blushes. She smiles at Miyo and the world freezes, who the hell is this girl? The thought swarms in both of their minds.

The leaves fall outside as the last bell rings and students crowd in the hallways. Miyo pushes through, accidentally running into Clive. “Excuse you miss.” Miyo ignores him and keeps pushing through. Her shoulder hurts from Clive’s hard chest. She sighs and finally makes it outside. She closes her eyes for a moment and starts walking towards the bus, but a scraping noise catches her attention. She turns around and spots an orange flyer gliding with the wind. More students walk over it, making it float further and further away. Curiousness kills her, she picks up a nice jog towards the paper. Finally reaching it, she grabs it and shoves it in her rose covered leather jacket.

On the bus, by herself once again, she pulls out the paper. She quietly reads out loud, “Halloween school dance at the Brenhurst Asylum, October 13th, Friday.” That’s three weeks from now. Miyo only missed the first month and so of school. Wonder if the dads would let me go. Miyo wonders as her tight hand sinks more into the leather bus seat. The bus ride is bumpy; Miyo is staring out of the window, music blaring and eyes stuck on the beautiful trees. She also has another thing on her mind, something, or someone she probably shouldn’t have. The first day of a  new school; score: pretty koolio.